Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Whats causing this blow by in my b18

Old 07-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
green3door is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whats causing this blow by in my b18

I just put a b18b1 in my 91 hatch and when I started it up and let it run i saw it was leaking oil from underneath the cam gears. come to find out the cam seals keep getting pushed out and oil starts leaking. Ive tried changing them 4 times but the pressure keeps pushing them out. Ive had so many people tell me so many different stuff. Rings causing the blow by, crank case ventilation ( black box on back of box ) PVC valve, valves being out of adjustment ( they are ). I did take compression test. And oh yea. It doesn't smoke.

compression test results:
#1 cylinder: 150
#2 cylinder: 150
#3 cylinder: 185
#4 cylinder: 190

I have no clue what the hell is wrong with this thing. It runs but just has so much blow by. THANKS
Old 07-24-2007, 04:44 AM
Registered Member

miahmouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whats causing this blow by in my b18

cyl 1 and 2 seem a little low. The valves being out of adjustment could cause that. Adjust the valves and see where you're at on the compression. If it doesn't go up after the adjustment, put a tbsp of oil in the low cyls and see if it goes up.

Blow by... compression rings. I've never seen it be enough to pop out cam seals and the valve cover has a breather on it so I still don't think thats your problem. I'd figure out the compression before doing anything else, a leakdown may facilitate this. Also, check to make sure you have the right seals and you're putting them in correctly... I thought there was a lip that held them in place...
Old 07-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Sumospeed #O.G.

SlowLS is an unknown quantity at this point

Your are doing something wrong when you are replacing your cam seals. Trust me on that. I have the most blow-by ever for a running motor and I do not have a problem of cam seals being forced out. Now oil spraying out of the PCV box is a different story.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:09 AM
Registered Member

green3door is an unknown quantity at this point

i had a shop do the cam seals. trust me they are in right. ive had 2 diff. mechanics put them in b/c i thought i was doing them wrong. and oh yea. the car has been sprayed on with nos. =\