Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Turbo Woes on a 3800

Old 03-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default Turbo Woes on a 3800

Ok, so after deciding I'm getting back into fieros, I've decided to take on a project. I had a SC'd 3800 in my last fiero but the eaton M90 is horribly inefficient anything passed 11psi. This being said, I want to go turbo 3800 in my newest project. Heres where I'm lost. I have NO clue about anything turbo's. I used a Turbo calc thing (http://not2fast.wryday.com/turbo/glo...rbo_calc.shtml) and the best thing I could come up with for my application is a T04E-60. I have no clue what the -60 is reffering to. (AR?) Engine Specs include;

6 Cylinder
Bore: 96.52
Stroke: 86.36
With a rear mount IC, I plugged in a IC efficiency of 70%

for motor efficiency, its getting a port and polish as well as a custom cam so I put in 70%

I want to run about 13-14 PSI into the motor.

So first off, have I supplied you guys with enough info? Also, have I picked the right turbo for my application? Thanks for the help!
Old 03-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Turbo Woes on a 3800

whats your power goals?
what kind of power delivery do you want, all low end, midrange, or all top end?
Old 03-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Sorry, def mid range/upper, starting at about 3200-3500. Looking to get around 425 hp at the crank. I want a decent mid range pull. Sorry
Old 03-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

757-A_V_8_R has disabled reputation

Random Task

i was wondering what mod have to be done to put a 3800 in a fiero, as far as tranny, drive shafts, and suspension
Old 03-21-2006, 04:19 AM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Sorry, def mid range/upper, starting at about 3200-3500. Looking to get around 425 hp at the crank. I want a decent mid range pull. Sorry

while the to4e series turbos (a 60trim that was recomended is the biggest of the t04e compressor wheels) have the potential to flow 425 crank hp, none of them will do it at 13-14 psi on a 6cyl. the 60trims' hp potential is somewhere under 500 but this is at nearly double your desired boost level.

my recomendation is throw out your boost level goal and just stick with your power level goal. Throw the 60 trim t04e turbo on there and you will have a great midrange power level car. It will work great on a 6 cyl motor.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:38 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by 757-A_V_8_R
Random Task

i was wondering what mod have to be done to put a 3800 in a fiero, as far as tranny, drive shafts, and suspension
I'll be running the 4T65eHD trans. Theres pretty much no manual FWD manual trans GM has put out that has been tested reliable under any decent HP numbers. Even too, this trans may be slipping like a suma bitch. . . The new getrag 6 speed that comes in the G6 GXP's hasn't really had time to work its way into the scene yet, in this sense I want to keep with something tried and true. Drive shaft wise, the only mod I will need to do is due to the fact that since the 4T65eHD trans runs a longer passenger side housing, I'll need to run a driver side axle fiero axles (shorter) on each side. Suspension will be the same, new motor and trans weigh in at about 85lbs lighter than the previous assembly. The only thing I'm concerned with is motor mounts. The stock fiero runs a 3 mount system with two mounts on the trans, one on the front of the motor, and also a torque strut on the top. Putting the desired torque I want through it tends to break mounts. In this, I need to put in stronger mounts (I think even poly mounts are too weak) Only other thing to do is wire the fiero harness into the OBDII harness (about two days worth of work). Oh, also, i'll need to install a higher flowing fuel pump as the stock fieros doesn't have a prayers chance to feed the new motor. Just a couple of other things will have to be done (re-routing the belts, etc) just misc stuff you hit on motor swaps, needs to be done.

Greaser- Thanks for the info, thats a lot of help. I'm trying to run around 425hp. The reason I gave a desire for pressure is I want to keep at the limits of some reliable boost. Stock L67 3800's can hold 12-14psi all day long. 17-18 psi is where stuff starts to break. In that sense, I wanted to squeeze the most reliable HP I could out of the motor. Thanks!