Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

tranny question

Old 10-15-2003, 05:00 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deshet has disabled reputation
Default tranny question

any one every had the metal clip that holds the throw out bearing break on a honda tranny?
this is what happen. i put in a new clucth and tranny in the crx. I replaced the DX tranny with a SI tranny. I have a DOHC ZC motor. I had to use the DX pressure plate to bolt up to the ZC flywheel. I used a SI clucth disk. I have done a few cluches before so I know that I did everthing right. The clutch will not disengage. I have ajusted the cable to every position and I know that isn't the problem. The tranny will shift into every gear with the car off. When the car is running I am not able to change gears. I can start the car in first gear and the car will move. This is what makes me believe that the throw out bearing bracket is broken.

Just to clear up any confusion I used a DX pressure plate, SI clucth disk, and DX throw out bearing. They are all simlar in size and are suppose to work together. I feel like the problem is the throw out bearing not the clutch.

thanks for any help
Old 10-15-2003, 06:53 AM
Speak&Spell Anyone?

Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell

NO I THINK IT IS THE PRESSURE PLATE ALOT OF PEOPLE THINK THE ONLY THING WRONG WITH THE CLUTCH IS THE CLUTCH PLATE ITSELF.... WELL IT CAN ALSO PE THE PLATE IF IT YOUR OLD ONE THAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM IS IT A NEED THROW OUT... IF NOT THEN YES THAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM... WISH I COULD HELP YOU MORE
Old 10-15-2003, 07:54 AM
Registered Member

"SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam

Same thing happened to me. Same thing happened to me, and it ended up the flywheel bolts were loose. (What I get for pulling overnight installs). Pull the tranny and see if anything is loose. I might even have a barely used Si pressure plate if you want it.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

all the parts that used wore new? I had a SI pressure plate but the bolts are different on the ZC flywheel so I had to use the DX pressure plant. I torqued all the bolts to 19 inch pounds which is honda specs.

and more ideas
Old 10-15-2003, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

"SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam

Did you torque the flywheel to spec?
Old 10-15-2003, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

hondazccivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hey

When you replace a clutch it's a good idea to replace the pilot bearing and the throwout bearing, so you are going to obviously take off the tranny no matter what, so do that, check out the throw out bearing and everything there, and see how it goes. Let me know what happens.
-Aaron-
Old 10-15-2003, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

okay I guess I did not explain clearly enough.
the clutch is new
the throw bearing is new
the pressure plate is new
they have all been installed and torque correctly.
I never removed the flywheel.

my question is has anyone every seen the metal backet that holds the pilot bearing break.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1
Default the flywheel

there are 2 different flywheels one uses the smaller clutch zc/dx and the other is the si if you use the wrong flywheel it might not disengage and the springs that hold the t/o bearing to the fork do break but dont normaly cause a prob. hope this helps
Old 10-16-2003, 04:30 AM
Registered Member

That helped a bit thanks
Now I should be able to use the SI clutch disk with the ZC/DX pressure plate right.

The only thing that depends on the flywheel is the pressure plate?
And the clutch should work as long as it sits properly under the pressure plate.
The throw bearing has to match the pressure plate used correct?
I believe that all the throw out bearings for 88-91 civics are the same are they?

I still think that people are confused on what I am asking. I doubt the pressure plate teeth broke. I believe that if the teeth broke I would still be able to shift gears?

When I first started the motor I heard a big thump.

I was told previously that a performance clutch was just a stock pressure plate and throw out bearing using basically a thicker softer clutch

ABACUS1

Your first two sentences helped confirmed what I was thinking was right.

But this one confused me

"the springs that hold the t/o bearing to the fork do break but don’t normaly cause a prob. hope this helps"

If the spring breaks won't that cause the throw out bearing to fall, and then in turn cause the tranny not to shift. The only thing that keeps the throw out bearing connected to the fork is the spring. Correct me if I am wrong.

Can that spring be changed out easily?

thanks
Old 10-16-2003, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

any one