Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

GS-R Tranny Question...

Old 12-02-2003, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SuMeRbOaRd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GS-R Tranny Question...

I gotta 93 GS-R... I'm getting the motor machined right now but figured since my tranny was out I'd get it fixed (when I shift quickly into 3rd it kinda grinds real quick before it goes in) but didn't know what the best way to go about doing that is. Is it better to put a different tranny in it or what... just some advice would be nice... maybe some things that you'd have done to the engine since it's out as well.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:54 PM
The Comeback Kid

Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76

get a new clutch and flywheel if you havent done that yet.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:55 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

prolly just a 3rd gear syncro.......id take the whole tranny apart, clean it, and get new syncros in all gears,new diff bearings and the other bearings that are in there..........
Old 12-02-2003, 06:55 PM

a92civicxjdmb16 is an unknown quantity at this point

well that really depends on ur money situation and ur motor setup.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by MORE IMPATIENT
prolly just a 3rd gear syncro.......id take the whole tranny apart, clean it, and get new syncros in all gears,new diff bearings and the other bearings that are in there..........
Any idea on the cost for all that? I had some dude at Yorktown Transmission tell me it would be about 4500 to repair it, with just the same information I gave you all.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by a92civicxjdmb16
well that really depends on ur money situation and ur motor setup.
It's the B17A1 which I think has like 160 HP stock or something around there. I'm getting it bored 30 over, new cam gears, new cams, new pistons for a turbo (if I ever get around to it), and I think thats about all right now... I was thinking about 3degree (or angle??? I had a friend tell me this one) valve job.. any ideas on brands of cams or anything?

Last edited by SuMeRbOaRd; 12-02-2003 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:12 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

Originally posted by SuMeRbOaRd
Any idea on the cost for all that? I had some dude at Yorktown Transmission tell me it would be about 4500 to repair it, with just the same information I gave you all.

hahhah, thats the dumbest thing i ever heard........you can prolly put brand new bearings, brand new syncros and have Shad at ABACUS racing rebuild it for less than 800 bucks........to put all new bearings in my transmission cost me 200 bucks........and im not sure on the cost of syncros, and Shad can put a tranny together in 20 minutes so i am sure it wont cost you alot, 4500 bucks, whoever that guy is needs to be hit in the head, hes prolly putting 100%overhead on parts and charging a 4250 dollar labor rate, i would laugh straight in that dudes face if he said that to me, you can prolly buy a new tranny direct from honda for less than half of that........
Old 12-02-2003, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by MORE IMPATIENT
hahhah, thats the dumbest thing i ever heard........you can prolly put brand new bearings, brand new syncros and have Shad at ABACUS racing rebuild it for less than 800 bucks........to put all new bearings in my transmission cost me 200 bucks........and im not sure on the cost of syncros, and Shad can put a tranny together in 20 minutes so i am sure it wont cost you alot, 4500 bucks, whoever that guy is needs to be hit in the head, hes prolly putting 100%overhead on parts and charging a 4250 dollar labor rate, i would laugh straight in that dudes face if he said that to me, you can prolly buy a new tranny direct from honda for less than half of that........
Yea, thats basically what I thought. Someone told me I could prolly get it done for under 1000. That dude tried to tell me that I would be much better off letting him just order me a new one. Mccarty's Transmission said they'd open it up and take a look @ it for me for $75. I had someone recommend them to me and I think I'm gonna take it by there unless anyones heard bad stuff about that place.