Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Tail light issue

Old 02-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dorydorydriftin has disabled reputation
Default Re: Tail light issue

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Look it up on a site with Honda parts?
you mean like take the number off the relay and try to place it with a honda relay ?
Old 02-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I mean look the parts up on a site with Honda parts. Then order from a Honda dealership, or just have the dealership look it up for you. If there is a physical picture of it in the manual, you can buy the part.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

that sounds good.

I am really thinking its the relay because the same relay supplies the power to the headlights. The coil in the relay supplies the power to the switch and from the switch it powers either the headlights on lets say circuit 1 and the taillights on circuit 2. The only difference is that for the taillights to get power it has to go back up to the relay to the switch part of it and from their to the rear. So im thinking when I turn on the taillights thats why I hear a switch noise followed by a pop of the fuse. /// sound reasonable ??
Old 02-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Well, if you have a short somewhere, when the relay switches power to the taillight circuit the fuse will blow. That doesn't tell me that the relay is bad, that tells me that you have a short somewhere. If the relay was bad, and it supplied power to both the headlights and taillights, the headlight fuse would blow also.

I could be completely misunderstanding what you're trying to say though.

Oh, if the problem was the relay, and the fuse was between the relay and the taillights, the fuse wouldn't blow. Power has to go through the fuse to get to the lights, so if the order of power is relay--->fuse--->taillights, the short would have to be after the fuse for the fuse to blow.

The click you're hearing is the relay, yes. You're just hearing the contacts close when the relay coil is energized. That means the relay is working properly.

Seriously, you have a short to ground somewhere. Pull the fuse and check between the fuseholder (on the taillight side) and ground. A circuit doesn't draw excessive current on its own without a problem.

I suspect that if the light assemblies were removed for painting, a wire was pinched when they were put back on the car.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

naw actually im really stuck and been stuck for a few days.. The taillights, license plate lights, and dash lights are all on the same cricuit. The truck after being painted i noticed that the assholes had cut one wire off of each license plate light.. The diagram shows that the Green wire goes in to the bulb and that the white wire that comes out of the bulb connects to the green wire........ Green wire is power < so my difficulty in understanding this is that the bulb doesnt ground to the mounting. So why does it have a power wire going in and the wire comming out go straight back to the power..
Old 02-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Racetracks

Do you have anything you can post or send that has that part of the schematics?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

yeaa, i gota hook my scanner up real quick
Old 02-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Racetracks

Anything?