Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

alarm help

Old 01-31-2010, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage
Question alarm help

so my girlfriends car a 2002 mercury cougar v6 is having issues with the alarm. recently when she was with her friends the alarm started to go off for no reason, she took the fuse out and it stopped but cannot use the locks inside the car or her alarm pad. she took it to the dealership and they couldnt figure it out so i am hoping someone knows or has delt with this issue before, shes tried fuses and such any ideas? thanks Nik
Old 02-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage
Default Re: alarm help

anyone?
Old 02-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Those cars are...um...high quality. Check the Cougar message boards (are there any?) and see if it's a common problem. Chances are that there is an intermittent connection on one of the alarm harnesses, or the alarm or body control module has a problem. I'll never touch one of those cars with a ten foot pole so I can't offer any specific advice, only general causes of something like that. I would bet that this is an intermittent problem so it will very hard to track down without being able to test it while it is misbehaving. What happens when the fuse is reinserted?

That car is old enough (well, for a domestic car) to start having problems with solder joints cracking inside the electronics modules and wonderful things like that. I've seen that on Japanese cars a lot too, they just take a lot longer to get to that point.

We are talking about a factory alarm, right?

Last edited by Fabrik8; 02-01-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:32 PM
for alarms/rmt-strts

EH3_SOHC has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Those cars are...um...high quality. Check the Cougar message boards (are there any?) and see if it's a common problem. Chances are that there is an intermittent connection on one of the alarm harnesses, or the alarm or body control module has a problem. I'll never touch one of those cars with a ten foot pole so I can't offer any specific advice, only general causes of something like that. I would bet that this is an intermittent problem so it will very hard to track down without being able to test it while it is misbehaving. What happens when the fuse is reinserted?

That car is old enough (well, for a domestic car) to start having problems with solder joints cracking inside the electronics modules and wonderful things like that. I've seen that on Japanese cars a lot too, they just take a lot longer to get to that point.

We are talking about a factory alarm, right?
i would think its not a factory alarm if you can pull a fuse and it stops going off. you have to provide specifics like brand,model number and other things im not getting paid to think of. also your description of what happend sucks. alarms dont go off for no reason.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

its a factory alarm it. when the fuse is put back into the car the alarm goes off like crazy we have no idea what i could be
Old 02-03-2010, 05:20 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

One of the inputs, like a door switch, could be causing a constant trigger. There really isn't any good way of troubleshooting something like that without a factory manual that has schematics and the complete list of inputs. You should be able to find and unplug the siren though, which will help your sanity a lot while you troubleshoot.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

yeah alright i will look over it. the lights flash aswell.... : \ i am guessing running w/o it