Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Tail light issue

Old 01-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dorydorydriftin has disabled reputation
Default Tail light issue

So took my car in for paint, got it back and now the tail/dash/licesnse plate lights wont come on. Let me explain The fuse blew, so I put in anouther fuse and it blew instantly, so typical me i was like fuck it and put in anouther one, It worked for around a minute. then blew. SO i have traced the ENTIRE wiring harness and not found a single short to ground etc.... their is no relays in the tailight circuit.

So my question is, *It's not a short to ground in the harness* what COULD cause the fuse to keep on instantley blowing ?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:52 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: Tail light issue

a bad bulb...take them out and look at them...
Old 01-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Have you just visually inspected the harness, or did you actually use a multimeter and see if there is a short?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

Yea bulbs are fine. Umm visually inspected the harness and in did check with a voltmeter. Thinking it could possibly be the switch that turn on the head lights and all,. Because its one of the twistie kinds and on the first click its the dash lights ( which blows the fuse ) 2nd click it turns on the headlights and 3rd click the tail lights. so could pobbily be in their ? i hope
Old 01-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Pull the fuse, take out the bulb, and use the multimeter to check for resistance to ground at the bulb connection. Then track back from there, unplugging harnesses as you go to remove them from the equation. If there is a connector that disconnects that switch, unplug it and test the switch itself for shorts. That's the most direct way to go if you suspect the switch is bad, then you can either rule it out or tell that it's the culprit. You should do all of this without any power to the circuit, because you already know you have a short to ground so resistance is the most informative thing to check.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

yea been trying keep hoping I can see the OL on the resistance check but iono im comming up real short on this one.
Its a 1992 toyota pickup 2wd 22re motor. Looked up the wiring diagrams and all and shit just isnt making a whole lot of since other than makko sliced the power wire to both license plate lights which is in the same circuit as the tail lights
Old 01-27-2010, 04:32 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

well since they cut the license plate lightes...have they been reconnected??

if so...disconnect them and see if it blows the fuse...
Old 01-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

yea okay so ive done a ton of work to it, And basically the problem should of been a 98% chance of a short to ground, but turns out it was the switch on my steering wheel, go figuere,,. THanks for the help and ideas .
Old 02-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH .... it's still not working ! lol. Okay heres the problem, narrowed it down to the fuse box under the dash. The problem im having is that from EVERYTHING i see, haynes manual, alldata.com etc... is that their is a tailight relay switch. But at autozone, napa, advanced < their is no such thing as the relay. How do i go about replacing a relay that doesnt exist in a way ??
Old 02-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Racetracks

Look it up on a site with Honda parts?

Quick Reply: Tail light issue