Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

starting issues

Old 12-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
burninator409 is a name known to allburninator409 is a name known to allburninator409 is a name known to allburninator409 is a name known to allburninator409 is a name known to allburninator409 is a name known to allburninator409 is a name known to all
Default starting issues

alright so I've already done a considerable amount of searching on the issue and haven't really found anything. Alright I'll describe it the best I can.
1993 N/A 5S-FE. I drove up to the store, no issues at all. I came out to my car to leave and the car would not start. I had 3 different vehicles try and jump me and nothing. It would just continue to click click click & nothing. I push started the car, it drove like SH** (rpm gauge was going nuts) and stalled... Push started it again, and drove absolutely fine a couple miles till I got home. I turned the car off and restarted it fine about 10 times. I then tried to start it again and nothing!!! I have done the following since then:

Replaced Battery with brand new one
Replaced Starter with brand new one
Check starter Relay
Tried jumping the new battery

STILL NOTHING, Just click, click, click, click

Everytime I push start it, it drives like crap and boggs down and rpm gauge goes crazy.

Could someone who is either a toyota tech/close to it or has had this same thing happen please give me a rundown/checklist of things I should check or things it could be. Possibly in order of importance or order of how likely it is to be that. All help is greatly appreciated considering I am running out of funds to have professional help take a look at it.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

92gsrteg has disabled reputation
Default Re: starting issues

i would start by checking all your ground connections. corossion or a loose connection can cause that. with your tach bouncing that says that its losing power.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: starting issues

Yep, sounds like a fatigue or corrosion problem on either the power or ground connections. I had a very, very similar problem on my WRX a few years ago when the stock ground was corroded. Check voltage between the battery terminals and then between the positive battery terminal and a clean bolt on the chassis or the engine block.. You should see just about no voltage difference between those two readings if everything is working properly. Usually cable or terminal corrosion will show a difference in voltage, which means that there is a resistance that is not allowing enough current to pass through to the starter, etc. If you see a difference in voltage, then you'll have to poke around and narrow down where the problem is, which will likely either be a cable or corrosion where the cable is bolted to the block, frame, etc. I've seen a few cars have cracked battery cable clamps have the same symptoms, but you definitely would have noticed that if you've replaced the battery already.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-13-2008 at 04:22 PM.