Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

98 Prelude Starting/Running Issues... HELP ME?

Old 12-17-2007, 03:25 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CharlieSammy is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 98 Prelude Starting/Running Issues... HELP ME?

So, I'm almost totally car stupid, and it seems the only way I am able to even fathom the way a car works is to relate it somehow to a jet (which I work on). But that's not the issue.

I was headed home after being at a buddy's house and leaving his place I have to smash on the gas to make it off this blind turn OK without being surprised by oncoming traffic, well I did just that, like usual, and I smelled gas. So, I figured "OK, time to take it easy for a while..." so I slowed down a bit. A little later, I hear what sounds like a stick caught somewhere under my hood. SO I hurry home (safely without trying to kill the car) and pop the hood to find that the sound is coming from in the engine. Sort of a knocking or a clicking sound, like something is loose and bouncing off the cover. Not sure if that's the case, since I don't have tools to crack that bad boy open, but that's what it sounds like. Anywho, I get back in and try to start it, and it is stubborn. It takes a couple tries to crank it to start, but I eventually get it. I get home, pop the hood again and look around, and find there's almost no oil in the car... Bummer. So, I go get some, fill the thing and try to start it... The battery wasn't dead, but it seemes it would crank maybe one turn and stop. I could see the alternator trying to take over for the battery in my instrument lighting, but it never actually started and eventually after that, the alternator and engine never even made a sound or movement to indicate it starting. So I called a couple people and looked it up online after gettin home and I find that it could be a bad starter, a bad battery, a bad relay, or a screw up in the delivery of fuel. Now here's where you come in. WHAT COULD THE PROBLEM BE?

I'm pretty much screwed about this whole thing, since I'm supposed to be driving home to Ohio in 4 days on leave with no planeticket or anything like that, so advice is welcome, especially quick advice...

Thanks....
Old 12-17-2007, 03:31 AM
Fidel runs VBPD

The_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: 98 Prelude Starting/Running Issues... HELP ME?

sounds like you ran with no oil and you need a jumpstart. try jumpstarting and listen for more noises, its definitely not a fuel problem, and it does not sound like a battery or alternator.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:51 AM
Registered Member

QUICKVIII has disabled reputation

Get a socket and extention on the frt crank pulley. Crank the engine over by hand, if it turns and locks, reverse the rotation. when you start to turn it back watch the crank pulley, see how far it rotates backward. If it stops just before turning a complete revolution, you have something in the cyl that is contacting the piston, keeping it from turning over. First guess would be a valve. H22 have a problem with the hydraulic tensioner. sometimes they let go creating a slapping or knocking noise behind the front cover, the timing belt is loose as a result. Engine jumps time, and you bend valves. I hope it isn't the case. but all isn't lost, it can be fixed in a day by the right person.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:52 AM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

you need a new engine....... no oil=dead engine