Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

SR20DE

Old 07-03-2003, 06:45 AM
I know right...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cueball1897 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SR20DE

Guy I work with has a 92 Sentra with a SR20DE under the hood...I'm assuming that the only difference between his engine and the one everyone is always talking about are the internals and of coarse the turbo. If any of you Nissan people could let me know, I'd appreciate it. I'm finding out info for him...he doesn't have a computer.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:07 AM
Registered Member

IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince

it is kinda the same. your right the internals and turbo. but the other one is RWD and some other few different things. but has alot of potential. very nice choice. I guess he was a SE-R. one of my favorites.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

higher compression, diff cams, smaller injectors, vavle stems are smaller.

thats the only major diff i'm aware of. stock SR20DE's can handle some major hp with the right tuning.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:58 PM
Team Rev-Limit

fear_these is an unknown quantity at this point

well there are some sr20de that are fwd and awd tranmission but look for a motor out of the bluebird for the fwd one and the AWD one is the same just that you have to look for a tranny for it and it has the intercooler on the top of the engine
Old 07-03-2003, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

the motor you are talking about is a GTiR motor. use the stock SR20DE tranny on all JDM sr swaps.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Team Rev-Limit

oh okay I thought about getting the GTi-R but decided go the bluebird way
Old 07-03-2003, 05:50 PM

mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point

All the DET's that we use in b13/14/15's are from awd vehicles (I think, I have heard there are a few fwd one's, but im not sure). The difference between the BB and the GTiR is that the GTiR comes with a T28, has stronger main bolt caps, has individual throttle bodies, and has stronger rods. It also has 8.3:1 cr due to the fact that it has a larger combustion chamber (pistons are the same). There is also the new avenir BB, which I believe has a newer style ball bearing T25. BTW, the blue birds have T25's.
Now, the difference between the US sr20de (what is in your friends se-r, and mine), is this. The usdm has 9.5:1 compression ratio, det has 8.5:1. The DET has oil squiters, a bigger oil pump, and bigger injectors. The S chasis sr20det's (red tops, black tops, etc, from silvia's), have a variable intake cam, and direct ignition, but im not as familier with those. Im not sure of the specs on the turbo's either. I think the newer ones came with ball bearing turbo's also, but dont quote me on that.
The usdm motor can hold plenty of power though. As long as it was maintaned well it can still be turbo'd. The most important thing is to avoid detonation. The two biggest advantages I see of going with a det is the oil piston squirters and lower c/r (good for higher boost on crappy gas). that and you dont have to bother with drilling the block for the oil line.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:02 PM

mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by fear_these
well there are some sr20de that are fwd and awd tranmission but look for a motor out of the bluebird for the fwd one and the AWD one is the same just that you have to look for a tranny for it and it has the intercooler on the top of the engine
The blue birds have top mount IC's too, except for the avenir. GTiR also has a top mount, but the car has a nice hood scope for it. And yeah, you dont have to look for a tranny for it. The usdm one bolts right up. Of course you will want it cyro'd, shotpeened, and welded. And then you will probably still break it . THE solution is the PAR gearset, its pretty sweet. If you watched the honda v nissan battle, you would have seen Mike Kojima's red b13 running one of the first sets (It might have even been the prototype). It will set you back about 3g's, and has no synchros. I think they are considering building a set with synchros if there is enough interest.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:06 PM
Team Rev-Limit

I know this is a little of subject but what do you guys think about the sr20ve? I like it and I was wondering if the turbo kit for it is the same for the DE or do you have to get somethings different.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:18 AM
Mr. Inconspicuous

98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point

Turboing is sr20ve is very possible BUT you are going to need to get the sr20vet cams and lower compression pistons. You can get a custom manifold from FMAX probably (they made one you think they would make another). You can use any sr20det pistons as well. Now you could skip the cams and pistons and just turbo it like you do when you have a DE. It wont make any more power then the de really and you will have spent a ton more money. THe ve cams have far too much overlap for proper turbo usage. Plus, the higher Compression ratio limits the power as well. Unless you have really deep pockets the de is a better starting point for a turbo add on.