Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Ring and pinion VS Stall

Old 02-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Quick Image

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AceTransAm02 will become famous soon enoughAceTransAm02 will become famous soon enough
Default Ring and pinion VS Stall

Ok so this might sound a lil complicated but here we go........Right now I have the texas speed MS4 cam in my car, it has a lot of lift and requires a right hefty stall converter. right now im running a 3600 stall to be exact with a 3.73 ring and pinion. The ring and pinion has picked up a loud whine and now has to be changed regardless of what decision I make here. So here lies my problem, even though the high stall is great for launching at the track.When im cruising at the average highway speed around here (55mph) Im still stalling. Which is very annoying So what im debating on doing is instead of spending $700 on a...lets say 2800 stall and another $300 on a new set of 3.73 gears, I could just put a set of 4.10 gears in and keep the 3600 stall, therefore raising the Rpm at highway speeds and making the current stall more useable and saving me some money.

So what Im asking you guys, Does this sound like a reasonable idea or is there something im not considering. Fuel mileage isnt an issue, the car is just a weekend toy and not daily driven.

Im hoping I was able to type that in a manner which is understandable. Any help, advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.....
Old 02-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Red is the new green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Ring and pinion VS Stall

sometimes you gotta give up a little to gain alot.....the only thing i would be worried about is a 3600 stall at the strip.....too high of a gear and you'll roast tires for the 60ft and some. Check the Chevy boards to see how people are doing with that setup. I can guarantee someone already has---or has had it.

any who, you need to get it out of stall, in non-locking, that thing is doing nothing but heating up...bad juju for a plate