Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

quaife lsd

Old 01-24-2007, 12:38 PM
throwbAcura

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22
Default Re: quaife lsd

Originally Posted by Enigma
Do some reading
Hahahahahaha.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

Originally Posted by dave22
Even if he was faster down the quarter mile, he'd likely be slower on a road course, slower at an autocross, more annoyed on the highway, and pissed off at the gas pump.
Not even close EVERY competative Honda in IT or Honda Challenge is running a taller final drive, thus making your overall gearing shorter. CRX guys in ITA and H4 are running a 4.7 or even a 4.9 final, from a stock 4.25. DA and DC Integras are both running 4.7 or 4.9 finals. Shorter gears get the engine into its power band faster. Yes it will pass though it, you take the shift and do it again. This idea is best played with on any of the racing games. Your idea that tires makes a difference only comes into play if the car has enough power to spin the tires in the next gear. Also suspension only comes into play when being push to the extreme... drag launch, or trying to pull hard out of a corner. Only in the respect that the movement of weight to the opposite end of the car basicaly lightens the end that drives the car... (wheel spin) All you suspension is going to keep weight over the wheels pulling the car forward.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:52 PM

Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma

Originally Posted by vbspec
Not even close EVERY competative Honda in IT or Honda Challenge is running a taller final drive, thus making your overall gearing shorter. CRX guys in ITA and H4 are running a 4.7 or even a 4.9 final, from a stock 4.25. DA and DC Integras are both running 4.7 or 4.9 finals. Shorter gears get the engine into its power band faster. Yes it will pass though it, you take the shift and do it again. This idea is best played with on any of the racing games. Your idea that tires makes a difference only comes into play if the car has enough power to spin the tires in the next gear. Also suspension only comes into play when being push to the extreme... drag launch, or trying to pull hard out of a corner. Only in the respect that the movement of weight to the opposite end of the car basicaly lightens the end that drives the car... (wheel spin) All you suspension is going to keep weight over the wheels pulling the car forward.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:55 PM
throwbAcura

Not even close EVERY competative Honda in IT or Honda Challenge is running a taller final drive, thus making your overall gearing shorter. CRX guys in ITA and H4 are running a 4.7 or even a 4.9 final, from a stock 4.25. DA and DC Integras are both running 4.7 or 4.9 finals.
How many of those cars are turboed? None? Okay.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

Originally Posted by Enigma
I'm done with this argument.

Do some reading
What I'm stating is not an opinion, it is fact. Different length final drives and longer or shorter gears are not good or bad. If you want to have an economy car, putting short gears in it is stupid. Likewise, if you have a turbo car putting short gears in it is stupid, because you are just going to end up lighting up the tires in the lower gears, and gearing out once you get up to speed.

Last edited by Archer; 01-24-2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: i'm being too mean. Cranky.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

How many of those cars are turboed? None? Okay.
Well I cant argue with that as turbos are not allowed in those classes. But I can tell you I have seen a guy at VIR who runs a turbo's LS hatch runs a JDM ITR Tranny.... 4.7 final and he is fast as shit.

Last edited by vbspec; 01-24-2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: shit made no scence :)
Old 01-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

Originally Posted by Topik
What I'm stating is not an opinion, it is fact. Different length final drives and longer or shorter gears are not good or bad. If you want to have an economy car, putting short gears in it is stupid. Likewise, if you have a turbo car putting short gears in it is stupid, because you are just going to end up lighting up the tires in the lower gears, and gearing out once you get up to speed.
You are right that that perfect gearing is based on application.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:20 PM
throwbAcura

You are right that that perfect gearing is based on application.
That's the whole argument.

Some people in this thread seem to think that shorter gears are always better, no matter what. I'm arguing that it's not always the case. And since we don't even know the setup or even the intended use of the car in question saying the LS gearing is poor is just ignorant. No matter what they say on Honda-Tech.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:33 PM

Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma

That's the whole argument.

Some people in this thread seem to think that shorter gears are always better, no matter what. I'm arguing that it's not always the case. And since we don't even know the setup or even the intended use of the car in question saying the LS gearing is poor is just ignorant. No matter what they say on Honda-Tech.
I was under the impression that this car was a drag car.

There was an issue of Honda Tuning that had a rally Civic hatch that used the less torquey gearing of the LS motor/trany for the advantage on the slopes
Old 01-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

It wouldn't matter if it was a drag car or not. When you're putting out excessive amounts of power (using a turbo) you're not going to want the shortest gearing possible.

Quick Reply: quaife lsd