Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Permanent damage???

Old 10-15-2008, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt
Default Permanent damage???

This was what I found when I removed my water pump off my d16a6 block... it kinda looks like someone tried to widen the coolant port... that, or the water pump disintegrated into the engine
Old 10-15-2008, 09:49 AM
yaaat.

ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington
Default Re: Permanent damage???

Wow, i got a Y7 block you can buy.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

There's some strange scoring where the impeller sits, that's slightly odd. In that cooling passage, those look to be tool marks made by sloppy grinding. I'm guessing that someone was trying to clean up the casting flash in the inside of that port, I don't know though.

I don't see any reason to be concerned if everything looks ok.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Looks like somebodys used a wiz wheel to try and clean the gasket surface up before, had a hand of fail and got inside of that port. You can tell by the marks and then the inconsistant ones after it.

I'd put a water pump on it and roll.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:06 PM

tatmonster has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by I spy Psi, no?
Looks like somebodys used a wiz wheel to try and clean the gasket surface up before, had a hand of fail and got inside of that port. You can tell by the marks and then the inconsistant ones after it.

I'd put a water pump on it and roll.
+1. if you werent having problems before, dont let it bother you. doesnt look to be THAT bad to me anyways. Ride dat bish
Old 10-15-2008, 03:39 PM
TRU
Registered Member

TRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond repute

It looks fine to me, it won't hurt anything. Like I Spy Psi said, probably a shaky hand with a whiz wheel. If you think its necessary, I posted 3 diff. machine shops names you could have look at it for you.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:42 AM
Registered member

sleekef is infamous around these partssleekef is infamous around these partssleekef is infamous around these partssleekef is infamous around these partssleekef is infamous around these partssleekef is infamous around these partssleekef is infamous around these partssleekef is infamous around these partssleekef is infamous around these partssleekef is infamous around these partssleekef is infamous around these parts

DO IT!
Old 10-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Looks like your impeller took a shit and aight itself up. Was there play in the bearing? Was there coolant coming out of the weep hole? Those marks look like pieces of impeller striking under the discharge side of the pump. Circles are also probably gouge marks from those pieces coming back, and gettign stuck between the wall and what was left of the impeller. It doesn't look like anyone tried to open that up, you can tell by the casting and the (forget the name of the term) but those lips on the ID of aluminum.

I'd go with it looks like that thing just imploded on itself.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt

okay, so i guess ill take it to a machine shop and have them check it out... and if the damage isn't too bad, ill have them clean (cuz you cant hot tank aluminum... right?) and hone the cylinders...

where's a good place to order arp head studs and acl rod bearings, as well as main bearings too? i was checking out lightning motorsports and panducky... anyone have personal favorites?