Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

valve damage

Old 03-09-2005, 11:18 AM
Cruising @ 8000ft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hatch77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default valve damage

Anyone know of a way to check for damage without removing the head from the block? I found the problem with my compression tests... next time i might want to put the tester in a little tighter

Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike
Default Re: valve damage

if your valves are bent it'll tick like a motherfucker when you start it up, if it starts at all.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Smile Bitch

16jdmCX has disabled reputation

Youll need to take the head off that the only way you cant check the valve heads to see if they are damaged.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Dick has disabled reputation

you can do a leak down test what were your compression reading on all cylinders ???if the valve is bent it should read 0
Old 03-09-2005, 05:38 PM
fabricated reality

kawgomoo can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by Dick
you can do a leak down test what were your compression reading on all cylinders ???if the valve is bent it should read 0

step 1 compression test. try both "dry" and then add a few drops of oil for a wet test. if compression comes up on wet test... its dah rings. oh yeah make sure the injectors arent firing {disconnect distributor plugs is easiest way to disable everything on a honda} also make sure you hold the throttle at WOT while cranking the engine. also note if it takes several more revolutions on one cylinder to build compression... they should all be pretty equal in every aspect

step 2 leakdown test if the compression test showed any signs of weakness. basically you have 2 guages and use one as a constant to measure the amount of air that is leaking out of the cylinder. Roll the motor to TDC, you can simply put air in the cylinder by hooking your air hose onto the compression tester's hose. listen for air coming out the throttle body, header, and inside the valve cover. if you hear air rushing through the t/b its intake valves, header is exhaust valves, valve cover is rings or a hole in the piston. bubbles in the cooling system... well you get the idea.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Full Access Member

jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype

easy, if your presure drops slowly bad piston rings, if preasure is 0 or drops quik bad valves
Old 03-15-2005, 08:33 AM
Speak&Spell Anyone?

Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell

Originally Posted by kawgomoo
step 1 compression test. try both "dry" and then add a few drops of oil for a wet test. if compression comes up on wet test... its dah rings. oh yeah make sure the injectors arent firing {disconnect distributor plugs is easiest way to disable everything on a honda} also make sure you hold the throttle at WOT while cranking the engine. also note if it takes several more revolutions on one cylinder to build compression... they should all be pretty equal in every aspect

step 2 leakdown test if the compression test showed any signs of weakness. basically you have 2 guages and use one as a constant to measure the amount of air that is leaking out of the cylinder. Roll the motor to TDC, you can simply put air in the cylinder by hooking your air hose onto the compression tester's hose. listen for air coming out the throttle body, header, and inside the valve cover. if you hear air rushing through the t/b its intake valves, header is exhaust valves, valve cover is rings or a hole in the piston. bubbles in the cooling system... well you get the idea.
thank you i was going to type all of that but i am glad you beat me to it.

hey i have a compresion tester. if you need it let me know. get ryan ardary to call me this weekend and we can check it out
Old 03-15-2005, 08:39 AM
Cruising @ 8000ft

hatch77 is an unknown quantity at this point

compression tests be damned, i just bought a GSR head from terry

I appreciate the help though!!
Old 03-15-2005, 09:16 AM
ballslickem!

BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix

Originally Posted by hatch77
compression tests be damned, i just bought a GSR head from terry

I appreciate the help though!!

lol good ole terry.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:45 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by 16jdmCX
Youll need to take the head off that the only way you cant check the valve heads to see if they are damaged.
nope. leakdown test.

Originally Posted by jlgrtype
easy, if your presure drops slowly bad piston rings, if preasure is 0 or drops quik bad valves

not always. a burnt valve can leak slowly.

one thing to remember, is that a leakdown test really needs to be done with the cams/lifters out (to get a true reading, making sure that there is no valvetrain issues other then a seating problem)

Quick Reply: valve damage