Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

My civic won't turn over

Old 10-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
calvintheelimin calvintheelimin calvintheelimin calvintheelimin
Default My civic won't turn over

I drive a 2000 Civic SI with a Turbo on 5lbs of boost and stock internals. Went to Maryland this weekend with the car and it drove fine until i got outside Clements MD at a round about and had to slow down. i have hit several stop signs and lights only less than ten minutes before. But when i let of the clutch, my car stalled out. I was able to restart the car and keep going. The car keeps stalling when I stop or take it out of gear.

Well I finally got to where I was going to check it out real quick and found a vacuum hose unplugged on the backside of the intake manifold. I started the car again and the idle was rough and it died. I checked the oil was was a quart low. Next morning, I put the oil in and checked the coolant level a that checked ok. I started the car once again and the car started and idled fine. I let the car sit. After the car warmed up, the idle started to slow and the car died. Engine temp on the gauge seemed to be normal. So I took the car down the road to Auto Zone to get the engine light read. The engine light has been on since I owned the car and only gives out the code for the O2 sensor reading too lean/too rich. The whole time was driving to the Store, my engine was clicking while i was accelerating only. The car stalled out again when i came up to a stop light and when i tried to start it, it wouldn't start.

When I would try to start the car, nothing would happen. I only hear a click coming from the starter. I had the car towed home and had the starter checked (starter was fine), the battery checked (full charge), I checked all the injectors and they seemed good, and even swapped them around because I have heard that only two injectors are used for idle. I checked the dizzy and that seemed to be fine. I went ahead and checked checked if the starter would turn the motor when i unhooked the cable for the starter and bridged it to the battery. Still, the engine will not turn over. I checked all connectors to make sure they are plugged in and seated properly, still nothing. I went and for the hell of it, put the code in for my radio and turned the key. This time, the car turned over and started to run but died.

When i put the key in the car everything seems normal. the lights come on and are all normal brightness and all the chimes chime when the doors open. when i turn the key to start, i hear the fuel pump start, i hear the starter try to engage but the motor wont turn over. I hope I was specific as possible with this write up. I was forced to leave my car up in MD and just want to get it back down here.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

willie has disabled reputation
Default Re: My civic won't turn over

try the ignition module. and does it have an alarm?
Old 10-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

willie has disabled reputation

oh i forgot try to turn the motor over from the crank pulley see if it would go a full 360 turn
Old 10-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

aacjohnc has disabled reputation

full pump could be goning bad . check your fuel pressure .
Old 10-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

1rude2l has disabled reputation

What willie said is the first thing i would do!!
Old 10-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

2kSi has a spectacular aura about2kSi has a spectacular aura about2kSi has a spectacular aura about

Sound like ur motor is lock, If its fuel pump it would keep on cranking, but he said it jus click. I drove on low oil and it jus stopped. Spun a bearing and locked up the crank, let it sit for a day and it started and never started again after...Wat a freakin shame this happen to ur 2k si glw fixing it
Old 10-13-2008, 02:52 PM
HAMBONE JONES...

z31kid is on a distinguished road

what about his alternator....he forgot about that..
Old 10-13-2008, 04:00 PM
NOt rep'n the g1teg

popwars123 has a reputation beyond reputepopwars123 has a reputation beyond reputepopwars123 has a reputation beyond reputepopwars123 has a reputation beyond reputepopwars123 has a reputation beyond reputepopwars123 has a reputation beyond reputepopwars123 has a reputation beyond reputepopwars123 has a reputation beyond reputepopwars123 has a reputation beyond reputepopwars123 has a reputation beyond reputepopwars123 has a reputation beyond repute

flywheel could be tore up if it's not turning over, also check you're grounds and the wire feed that turns on the starter
Old 10-14-2008, 12:48 AM
Registered member

calvintheelimin calvintheelimin calvintheelimin calvintheelimin

Originally Posted by willie
try the ignition module. and does it have an alarm?
It does have an alarm, I have enabled/disabled several times, it was a no go. As far as the ignition module goes, i have isolated that from the problem when I unhooked the battery and removed all connections from the starter and hooked the starter to the battery. Still would not turn over, just click.

Last edited by calvintheelimin; 10-14-2008 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Left info out.