Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

My 02 altima doesn't want to start up.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
elements018 has disabled reputation
Default Re: My 02 altima doesn't want to start up.

get the check engine light scanned
Old 02-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Yep, sounds like a sensor problem most likely. It's strange that the failure was so fast though; usually the sensor will go bad gradually and/or trip a CEL but not prevent the car from running at least somewhat. I'm not going to predict what it is because there are a few things that will cause the same symptoms. You should get the stored codes scanned, and don't worry about what it is until then. That should tell you just about everything you need to know, and then you can troubleshoot from there. We can all spit out as much conjecture as we want, but you should already have most of what you need to figure out what it is from the CEL.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Keeping It Real !!

ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer

Yeah I called the dealer and they said it's in limp mode that's why. The only thing is that my check engine isn't on after I started it. I am bringing it in tomorrow morning and will go from there.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Keeping It Real !!

ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer

So nissan found out that the cat conv was busted. They replaced it and there was a recall that the ecu had to be reprogramed. so they called me and sad the car is read for pick up. I arrive there start the car and it was still sputtering. The guy said to leave to car and he will have a look at it first thing tomorrow morning. He said its possible that some of the cat cov particles went into the engine and I might need a new engine. .

The cat converter was fixed under warranty so if he does say that I need a new engine I will plead for them to put a new engine due the fact that the cat conv messed up the engine.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:16 AM
GO GO GODZILLA!

Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto

Looks like MAF.

Originally Posted by ravenracer
So nissan found out that the cat conv was busted. They replaced it and there was a recall that the ecu had to be reprogramed. so they called me and sad the car is read for pick up. I arrive there start the car and it was still sputtering. The guy said to leave to car and he will have a look at it first thing tomorrow morning. He said its possible that some of the cat cov particles went into the engine and I might need a new engine. .

The cat converter was fixed under warranty so if he does say that I need a new engine I will plead for them to put a new engine due the fact that the cat conv messed up the engine.
I've actually had a customer deal with this exact problem, his converter blew out and the blow back toasted his engine. Nissan warrantied everything and rebuilt him a new motor. Funny shit.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:18 AM
1.6L Elitist

Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts

Ouch. Would not have guessed cat converter....unless of course it was a clogged cat, which would make sense.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Keeping It Real !!

Originally Posted by Excel Auto
Looks like MAF.

I've actually had a customer deal with this exact problem, his converter blew out and the blow back toasted his engine. Nissan warrantied everything and rebuilt him a new motor. Funny shit.
Originally Posted by Newbsauce
Ouch. Would not have guessed cat converter....unless of course it was a clogged cat, which would make sense.
So I called nissan yesterday and he said most likely particles from the cat conv went into the engine so they are going put a new engine in it and since the cat conv was still under warranty it will be of no cost to me.