Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

mini-me question?

Old 12-24-2004, 01:47 PM
S-T-F-U

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brycerb Brycerb
Default mini-me question?

i was going to do a mini-me head swap on my cx, but i learned that the cx has differnt valve reliefs in the pistions due to only having an 8 valve head not 16, is this true?
Old 12-24-2004, 02:09 PM
Currently N/A

EvolutionBoostin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: mini-me question?

I don't have any direct experience with this, but it seems to me that the valve reliefs would definately be different. Whether this will cause the valves to hit the pistons with the vtec head, I dunno. I'm sure someone on here knows.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:22 PM
S-T-F-U

Brycerb Brycerb

i know that it make sense i was just wondering if anyone knew for sure, i'm kind of hopping that honda only made one set of pistions to cut down on cost and put them in all d series, but i don't feel like pulling my head off to find out, i only have one car.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

uptownspeedstar

The cx 8v motor uses the same pistons at the 16v dx motor...The valve reliefs will be there.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:35 PM
ballslickem!

BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix

Originally Posted by uptownspeedstar
The cx 8v motor uses the same pistons at the 16v dx motor...The valve reliefs will be there.

sounds scary to me. cant say ive ever looked at the pistons, but most d's use a pretty flat dome piston. pull a spark plug, get a little light and look down there, 4 moon shapes cuts in the piston good, 3 would be bad. even though it probably wont make a damn bit of difference, as long as its a non interference motor..

mini's me's suck
Old 12-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Go Team Marlboro

BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo

Originally Posted by BrokeAssCrix
sounds scary to me. cant say ive ever looked at the pistons, but most d's use a pretty flat dome piston. pull a spark plug, get a little light and look down there, 4 moon shapes cuts in the piston good, 3 would be bad. even though it probably wont make a damn bit of difference, as long as its a non interference motor..

mini's me's suck

all Honda's are interference engines. And none of them have 3 valves either..

Neway, the cx as stated above does use a 16v piston, so the reliefs are there and you will be fine.