Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

megasquirt

Old 01-02-2008, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock91lx is infamous around these partsstock91lx is infamous around these partsstock91lx is infamous around these partsstock91lx is infamous around these partsstock91lx is infamous around these partsstock91lx is infamous around these partsstock91lx is infamous around these partsstock91lx is infamous around these partsstock91lx is infamous around these partsstock91lx is infamous around these partsstock91lx is infamous around these parts
Default megasquirt

ok i just bought a reassembled megasquirt 2 and the eec-iv adapter board to plug into my stock harness. i am installing it in my single turbo 95 cobra. i was wondering if anyone around VB or norfolk new how to create basemaps on megatune? time is money and i am willing to pay someone that has experience setting up a standalone.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Sparkle Motion

jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539
Default Re: megasquirt

If you can't find someone on this site that can do this for you, I remember reading some where that there is a forum that is dedicated spacifically to people either making, or sharing base maps that they have made for these ECUs. Wish I could remember what that site was or where i read that at. Hope this helps a little. I will go look and see if i can dig it up, or remember.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:29 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Of all the options out there, why the worst? I don't trust those as far as I can throw them, the hardware quality is junk. I am impressed that they're finally using an S12 microcontroller though, that's a start in the right direction..
I guess they're cool for a system that's that cheap, but I just wouldn't use that for a street car. I'd be worried about durability issues. I guess I'm just not on board with a bunch of daughter modules that are bitched together to make a functional system, and it doesn't even have individual coil outputs. For a little more money, there are much better and more complete systems out there.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 01-03-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

smokin-ricers has disabled reputation

atcually they are a great system the reason most people are biased against them is because someone that has never done any type of soldiering assembles them or installs them or tunes them improperly, I am sure you can figure out where I am going from there
M/S assembled by a novice=great chance of M/S being a paper weight
but all in all they have a very broad user base the other main reason people don't like the is because they are afraid to learn about how their car opperates electonicaly and mechanically when properly tuned. as far as drivability issues most of those are operator error such as not being properly tuned, assemblied or installed
I personally have assembled several and installed and tuned about 3 times that many they are a great kit in the right hands, but in the hands of the inexperianced tuner they can be a ticking timebomb just like all of the other aftermarket engine management systems. oh did I mention that when you buy most preassembled engine managements systems you only get what they offer but with the megasquirt it is developed by the user for the user meaning if you want a feature controlled they is someone out there in the M/S community that is willing to make it happen

to the op

www.msefi.com
www.msruns.com
www.msgroups.com
www.msextra.com
Old 01-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I'm not most people.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I'm a professional electronics technician and I work for an ECU company. I am an expert level, previously Mil-spec certified (expired, I don't need it anymore) solderer, with almost 12 years of production board assembly and design/prototyping. In other words, I don't just solder circuit boards, I design them. I probably have a good eye for good quality hardware, and I'm not especially impressed.

OK, let me qualify that I guess.. The MS systems are OK for the price, I just wouldn't put something of that price (and requisite quality) on my car. That's my opinion, I don't like the types of connectors and components that are used, and don't trust the possible reliability problems that could come with them. It's just that simple, there are connectors for automotive use, and they are used for a reason. I'm not going to get into corrosion issues, plated-via fatigue, and fretting problems, but I have reasons for my opinions.
If the MS systems were better designed to be rugged, and that extra cost was absorbed by higher volume production, I would have no qualms about using it.

The really low-end ECUs that our company makes use the same microcontroller family that MS just started using, and it's a good core. I really like the overall concept of the MS systems, I just don't really trust the hardware at the moment.

I do like the MicroSquirt, it actually looks like a decent piece of hardware, with a good case and a decent connector.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 01-08-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

smokin-ricers has disabled reputation

good arguement Fabrik8 but the spectre emspro is the next level of of the M/S with its code based on the M/SnS it has better automotive grade sealed connectors and better overall electronics but like you said you get what you pay for if you want a great starting point as far as engine management systems you can't beat the M/S as far learning the in's and out's of standalones and the price won't break the bank either

to the OP I am sorry for hijacking your thread but if you need help getting it setup just give e a shout also here is a useful webpage how to tune your megasquirt read it when you finish read it again and then to be on the safe side read it one more time just to make sure you get a better grasp on what your doing and learn the functions of the M/S and to know how to use the Megatune tuning software.