Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

K24 Vtec Engagment RPM

Old 01-27-2012, 05:15 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default K24 Vtec Engagment RPM

This is the wifes car FYI. Its a 2007 TSX, Vtec doesn't kick in until ~6000rpm. Redline is 7k and the limiter just over that (7200?). By the time you hit the Vtec you have to shift out and grab another gear and put it <6k rpm so Vtec deactivates. Is that normal? Is there a way to easily adjust it sans tuning?

Isn't a 'lets make it fast' , just a curiosity question.

Also, was going to replace the clutch/TO bearing/etc while she's gone (deployed for a year), it seems that 'performance' kits are cheaper than OEM. Priorities for the clutch is 1.) Pedal Feel 2.) Durability. Performance is a non issue as the car is and will remain stock.

I googled and couldn't find anything :P
Old 01-27-2012, 06:28 AM
Banned

hondaslutt is infamous around these partshondaslutt is infamous around these partshondaslutt is infamous around these partshondaslutt is infamous around these partshondaslutt is infamous around these partshondaslutt is infamous around these partshondaslutt is infamous around these partshondaslutt is infamous around these partshondaslutt is infamous around these partshondaslutt is infamous around these partshondaslutt is infamous around these parts
Default Re: K24 Vtec Engagment RPM

yea. not to sure as to why the vtec comes set there, but it does suck. ive driven one and honestly i hated it for that reason alone.
i really have no idea if thier is a way to change the vtec point without getting a new ecu or chipping yours (if thats even possible, still learning these k series.)

as for the clutch. i would go with exedy. i love exedy with a passion. they make great stock-feel clutches that grab pretty hard. and in my experiances they
last a while.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:43 AM
slingshot engage.

dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin'

As far as VTEC engagement, and since you have no future plans for the car except drivability, I would say get a reflash from Hondata. It will give you a few more perks, such as lower engagement, better crossover, etc. There is no need for a complete tuning system, like Flashpro, since there is no plans for future upgrades.

Linky: http://www.hondata.com/reflash_tsx.html

Clutches- I'd find a few reviews on any k series forums. 8thcivic.com is good resource for K stuff.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Registered member

sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl?

Vtec is set that high for gas mileage purposes probably. I believe that's why they always set them that high on the civics as well. (minus some of the d-series engines which had the 3-stage vtec but that's a different story).

I say, get a reflash. Set the vtec engagement point at say, 5,000 or 5,500. Don't want to set it too low or you'll ruin gas mileage and drivability. (of course that's up to personal preference. Just my.02 cents)
Old 01-28-2012, 05:51 AM
Registered Member

TRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these parts

What everyone above me has said is right. I mean, how many people buy a TSX as a performance car? I have one and vtec is set at 6k I believe(2004) hondata makes a reflash that brings it down to 5500rpms, it also adds power throughout the powerband and makes the car much better to drive. I have yet to get it, but it's $300.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:53 AM
Registered Member

TRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these parts

As far as a clutch I would go with a Exedy clutch kit, that's what honda uses for their factory clutches. Get a stage 1/organic street disc, it will drive like stock.