Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

92 camry engine problems

Old 01-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boostedteg has disabled reputation
Default 92 camry engine problems

hey guys, I recently picked up a 92 Camry, Ive thought of everything i can think of, and im hoping im missing something simple, car just cut off while driving, seems to turn over fine so timing wasnt initially a concern, ive checked everything I could think of, and decided to check the timing, ended up pulling timing belt off, with it off If i try to rotate bottom end, i get about a quarter turn, and it locks up either way, never ran across anything like thing, and just thought id get a second opinion before i pull the motor out, its just a beater, so not really trying to put a lot of money into it, any input is appreciated, thanks
Old 01-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default Re: 92 camry engine problems

Uhhh, its because when you took the timing belt off, you've removed the only thing keeping the valves in sync with the pistons. You're essentially ramming a piston into a valve.

Stop.

Put the timing back correct. If it just cut of, perhaps something else, like fuel?
Old 01-15-2012, 04:45 AM
Registered member

boostedteg has disabled reputation

Explain this to me, its suppose to be a non interference engine, I would imagine that they shouldnt come in contact unless something came apart, I should be able to rotate top or bottom end any way i want correct? Im not familiar with these toyotas, maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited by boostedteg; 01-15-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Registered member

AznXstazy has disabled reputation

is your car in park..... if it is then you're tran is probably keep you from rotating and yes the engine is non interference.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:39 AM
crash test dummy

mdeserteagle50 is infamous around these partsmdeserteagle50 is infamous around these partsmdeserteagle50 is infamous around these partsmdeserteagle50 is infamous around these partsmdeserteagle50 is infamous around these partsmdeserteagle50 is infamous around these partsmdeserteagle50 is infamous around these partsmdeserteagle50 is infamous around these partsmdeserteagle50 is infamous around these partsmdeserteagle50 is infamous around these partsmdeserteagle50 is infamous around these parts

What are you using to turn the crank?
Old 01-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

00_civic757 has disabled reputation

OK well check the obvious air fuel and spark......if u got those pull the CEL if u have one on.....check ur fuses/relays like fuel pump, ecu, etc.....check ur MAF too IV seen clogged/dirty ones cause a Toyota to stall and not start.....
Old 01-18-2012, 04:00 PM
yaaat.

ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington

Did you even read the thread. he's asking why it's when he turns the crank on a non interference motor that it's being stopped by something.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

00_civic757 has disabled reputation

Yea I read it I was addressing the issue of the car suddenly cutting off and as for the motor not rotating ..being in park wont prevent u from rotating the motor but if it turned over before u took the belt off and now it wont...try putting the belt back on and try to spin it....the cylinder(s) could full of air and with the piston compressing the air and the air not having anywhere to go could possibly cause it to not rotate both ways causing like some sort of vacuum lock
Old 01-18-2012, 04:47 PM
yaaat.

ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington

Originally Posted by 00_civic757
Yea I read it I was addressing the issue of the car suddenly cutting off and as for the motor not rotating ..being in park wont prevent u from rotating the motor but if it turned over before u took the belt off and now it wont...try putting the belt back on and try to spin it....the cylinder(s) could full of air and with the piston compressing the air and the air not having anywhere to go could possibly cause it to not rotate both ways causing like some sort of vacuum lock
Being in park WOULD prevent it from spinning. it's connected to the transmission. If it was in neutral and he was trying it would be a different story.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:24 PM
1UZ Inside

YOTARIP YOTARIP YOTARIP YOTARIP YOTARIP YOTARIP YOTARIP YOTARIP YOTARIP YOTARIP YOTARIP

Originally Posted by ryanherington
Being in park WOULD prevent it from spinning. it's connected to the transmission. If it was in neutral and he was trying it would be a different story.
Wrong,
An auto trans in the park position or any position for that matter will still allow the motor to turn. The torque converter allows that to happen.

No auto veheicle I have ever owned would start unless in park.

Quick Reply: 92 camry engine problems