Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

just some clarification

Old 08-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
klownh8er is on a distinguished road
Default just some clarification

hey guys just want to make sure this will work before i start investing money in it.

right now i have an obd1 b16 in an obd2 shell. What I would like to do is find a cheap obd1 hb shell and swap the motor in.

What I was wondering is can I just use the p30 ecu or will i fail emissions next time around? or would i have to find an usdm ecu that's compatible with my motor.

basically i want a legit obd1 car that'll pass emissions... plus i always wanted a hatch
Old 08-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: just some clarification

B16s came with P30 ECUs, I don't quite understand what you're asking.. Is it a JDM P30 and not a USDM P30? Why would you fail emissions?

OBD1 JDM and USDM P30s are the exact same ECU, but the small case JDM version uses smaller surface mount components. It also uses slightly different mapping. If you're really worried about emissions, and you have a JDM P30, get it chipped (tell the chipper to put in a removable jumper) and put a USDM P30 program in it. When you're done, put in a JDM program or pull the jumper (JP1? I don't remember) that was installed during chipping.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

yeah I have the jdm p30, I figured the usdm would be different in a way that'll it have an affect on emissions.
I failed emissions due to the fact that I have a obd2 car ... w/ a obd1 motor.

So basically to me.. if I could find someone who is interested in a 00 civic coupe we might be able to workout some sort shell trade, it'd be the easiest way to pass emissions. instead of my latter options w/ finding an obd2 compatable computer then taking care of the cel's, or registering in a diff. county but i have no one i know in an emission free county.

Last edited by klownh8er; 08-02-2008 at 10:24 PM. Reason: grammar owns me late at night.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:24 AM
Registered Member

gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile

send me a PM
Old 08-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

another quesiton... do I basically have the complete swap to put it into a 92-95 chassis?
or would I need different motor mounts also. I'm complete noob when it comes to these things, but i've been googling and searching the archived content.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

KYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud of

The mounts you have in the obd2 car ( I am assuming civic) will not bolt the b16 in the 92-95 chasis.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

thanks for answering, besides the mounts everything else should work and basically hook right up correct?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

KYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud of

Your best bet would be to find a obd2 integra harness so the wiring is cut down, but if you decide to use the obd1 harness then you will need obd1 injectors or re wire the obd1 harness to take the obd2 injector, rewire the distributor for the obd1 harness, a few brackets ( rear t bracket off a 94-01 integra and a drivers side motor mount bracket off the same year integra), any 92-95 tranny mount. Your obd2 shift linkage will work. Pm me if you have any questions