Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

JDM b16a motor problems.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:29 PM
holla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3
Default JDM b16a motor problems.

I really want to get this car but I want to get an idea of what I'm getting into before I do.

Car-91 Honda civic hatch
Motor- JDM B16A

I went to look at this car the other day. When I started the motor I noticed the on the cylinder closes to the distributor there was gas leaking around the exhaust manifold. We pulled the plug and it was seriously fouled out and covered in gas. A friend of mine pull out the clip for that injector and we let it sit a while to try and get the gas to vent out. After starting it without the plug in we figured most of the gas would be out of the cylinder by now.

After that we started it with the plug back in and injector unplugged and there was no more gas leaking. So we figured it was probably an o-ring on it or some type of injector problem. No biggie.

Then I told him to go around back to check for smoke in the exhaust. I rev the motor up and a pretty hefty puff of white smoke comes out that reaks of gas. Then I went back there to check it out and noticed this yellowish color "slime" in the exhaust. It kind of looked like a oil/coolant mix.

Then we went back up and check the radiator, very little coolant. Checked the dipstick, regular oil after running for a good 10 minutes, no coolant. We feel and listen at the radiator cap to try and get a hint of a blown headgasket, nothing. So I take off the oil cap and theres a little bit of a oil and coolant mixture on the cap. We were kind of thinking, maybe it's just condinsation as is the exhaust.

Well, time ran short so we had to leave but I want to go back and check it out again. I mean, it is a JDM motor in a very nice looking car for a steal. Just sitting in a backyard. A couple friends say just run a compression test and if its good then get it and we'll go from there. But I don't want to buy a big paper-weight if you know what I mean.

Aside from a compression test and a coolant system pressure test what else should I do? Also, what the hell could be up with all that smoke and the gas smell in the exhaust along with the slimey stuff?

Please, if you have ANY idea whats going on (and know what you're talking about), please let me know. If I can pick this up and throw a little money into it to get it running then I'll really have something nice.

Thanks in advance,
Jake
Old 04-04-2007, 09:09 PM
I fix cars

hondub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: JDM b16a motor problems.

What a perfect description lol. I dont think i couldve ever said it better myself
Old 04-05-2007, 04:01 AM
Sumospeed #O.G.

SlowLS is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say run a compression test. However if it is getting that much fuel, the rings are probably fuel washed.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Justa lil 6

Dang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the rough

if the cylinders are fuel washed, more then likely the compression test will still be pretty good numbers but the oil control ring could be worn or washed and still casue it to smoke or burn oil.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:03 PM
holla

Yea, so that's not a good buy huh?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:54 PM
va.beach

ottoyota is an unknown quantity at this point

Most likley a sticking injector..... not closing all the way. Check the oil, if it smells REAL "gassy" ie. like gas, that would be my guess.

I had an injector do this on my civic last year.. white smoke, wet around the exhuast mani till it actually dripped on the ground pretty good. There was soo much fuel that it came out of the muffler also. Changed the injector and all is well.

The oil has probably gotten so thin from all of the fuel in the crankcase that you burning fuel and oil..... that will cause the white smoke also.

Last edited by ottoyota; 04-05-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:22 PM
holla

So would it have fucked up the rings from all the gas or what?
Old 04-06-2007, 03:40 AM
Justa lil 6

Dang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by j4k3
So would it have fucked up the rings from all the gas or what?
possible