Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Irritating S13 SR issue

Old 10-08-2005, 08:56 PM
midnight motorsports

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
minboostS13 has disabled reputation
Default Irritating S13 SR issue

Okay, here are my mods if it makes a difernce...
SR20DET Blacktop S13 FAL Fans
Blitz LM FMIC Koyo Radiator
Greddy hotpipe Genesis Battery
Greddy BOV Intake
Blitz Downpipe Manual BC 15 psi
Custom 3 inch exhaust Walboro 255 LPH fuel pump
Cusco motor mounts Z32 fuel filter, 02 sensor

Im driving the car at a constant speed and it hesitates and bucks, i give it boost it runs fine. At idle it wont idle constant, it fluxuates and misses. It will stall when coming to a stop... sometimes. ITS PISSING ME OFF. So far i have checked the spark plugs, the coilpacks, replaced the 02 sensor, replaced the exhaust gaskets, checked for fuel leaks, replaced the fuel filter, upgraded the fuel pump, replaced the FPR, checked for vacuum leaks, removed all of the intercooler couplings and checked for pinholes and cracks, checked the piping for leaks and cracks, checked the injectors, adjusted the TPS and the IAC, checked the watesgate, changed the octane of fuel to 100, checked the MAFS and CAS, searched for loose connections and miswiring, and checked the turbo for problems.
Once again, it runs smooth and pulls hard under boost, i ran a 13.5 @104 on 13 psi with this problem. I really am lost with this damned thing. If anyone can lend some advice, id greatly appreciate it.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:13 AM
midnight motorsports

Default Re: Irritating S13 SR issue

Today i checked the resistance to the TPS and the Coilpacks, what is the resistance supposed to be at? Also, ive checked the codes on the ECU i got 3 and 4 or 34. Its an E5 Blacktop ECU in an S13 SR. I looked them up and they dont make sense. Something like ignition failure(but the car starts fine) and ECCS WTF i thought that was on the KA's only. Anyway, i hope someone can help...thanks for your time.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Tom

Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom

This seems to be a common problem with s13 SR's. I've heard of a couple people having the problem, and I have experienced it with a friend of mine who just recently dropped one in his 240. The way he fixed the problem was just to up the idle a little bit. No, it didn't stop the RPMs from falling below regular idle, but it doesn't stall out anymore. His idle now is like 1,100 or so, and drops down to about 800 or 900. Its just a temporary solution until he can up the boost a little, and get it tuned (hopefully they'll fix that problem along with the tuning).
Old 10-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Registered member

Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey

EGR?
Old 10-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Boner Jams

-Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal

bov recirculated?
Old 10-09-2005, 11:31 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally Posted by WYT R1CE
bov recirculated?
yes.

shawn you still haven't replaced that coil have you? to have an ignition code pop up on top of that boot being cracked....

but that still doesn't really explain why it cuts off. your car pisses me off...

but back to the bov... you don't think it may be leaking with that screw stuck in it do you? have we discussed that possibility before?

btw i'll communicate through here because i hate having to go outside to talk on the phone.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:43 AM
midnight motorsports

The BOV is recirculated, the screw has thread tape around it to prevent a leak. I thought of that one already and i dont think it is. Of course, there isnt really a way to check that.
The SR doesnt have EGR, and the coil pack is fixed temporarily. I taped the crack shut, but after better examination in sunlight, the cracks are on the end of the boot itself so its not cracked all the way up preventing spark. I dunno guys, its really frustrating. I appreciate the replies.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Boner Jams

-Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal

If your ignitor pack is fucked, dont go pay $100 for a SR one, you can pick up a Q45 for like $20-60 with plugs and just rewire.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:07 PM
midnight motorsports

ive asdjusted the iac and it idles better, it still tries to miss every now and then. As far as the suging at cruise and no boost...it still does it. FUCK.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:19 AM
midnight motorsports

hey, i just corked the recirculating hose from my BOV into the Intake. NO difference in power or driveability. Could this be the culprit? Some of you S13 owners have it unrecirculated anyway...i always wondered why it works for some and not others. Mine was done just after the MAFS until today, and there is no difference in hesitation and stalling/missing at idle periodically. I also have this posted in freshalloy and still no answer.