Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

honda head question

Old 06-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Stock for Now!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boostedgsrcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default honda head question

is there any benefit by putting a gsr head on a b16 bottom end any gain in power or torque ( and for those who answer the motor is turboed if that affects anything)
Old 06-22-2005, 08:44 PM
Clean Freak.

Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean
Default Re: honda head question

The B16 head flows a little better than the GSR head, its made from the same casting as a Type R...
Old 06-22-2005, 08:51 PM
www.TeamDOHC.org

Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy

GSR head is better, why you ask? here is why read the 2 first post in the thread I link to you & you will know why....

http://totalhonda.net/vb/showthread.php?t=82
Old 06-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

It really doesnt fucking matter either way once you do a little headwork to either one. Get whichever one you can get a better deal on.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:03 PM
JAY SPEC

00civichatch 00civichatch

gsr head has a smaller Combustion Chamber Volume (cc per cylinder) 41.6cc's opposed to the b16's 42.7cc's which means you will have a slightly higher compression. and that is not good for turbo apps?

quoted from 'hybrid93eg' on totalhonda.net
If you really want to get down to it, the head has nothing to do with the "dome" as you said. The "dome" is part of the piston, not the head. The BOWL is what you are referring to and the bowls themselves are almost identical with the exception of the added quench area on the GSR head. The added quench are will not only help raise compression .3, it will also promote better flame travel. Its a simple classic pent roof style combustion chamber used back in the 50's and 60's.

One can argue all day long about the flow of these two heads, but are flow bench numbers really what "tells all"? The B16 heads use earlier casts and if you compare the B16 with a GSR head side by side you will see the differences in casting. The GSR head uses a newer casting and has less shift and is therefore a LOT cleaner. Not only that, but Honda learned something that they incorporated into the GSR head, higher intake ports. The higher ports provide for a more direct flow of air from the intake manifold. Something a flow bench won't show. Just remember, people can do as many "test" as they want and post up charts and dynos left and right. Sometimes it takes a little more common sense then just how to read charts in order to see some of the advantages one piece might have over another.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:08 PM
Stock for Now!!

ttt thanks for all the feedback and the only reason i ask is because i got a full gsr head with a skunk 2 manifold and skunk 2 cam gears sitting in my garage chillen
Old 06-23-2005, 02:41 PM
www.TeamDOHC.org

Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy

Originally Posted by boostedgsrcivic
ttt thanks for all the feedback and the only reason i ask is because i got a full gsr head with a skunk 2 manifold and skunk 2 cam gears sitting in my garage chillen
Well then in that case, I have a B16 head laying around Ill trade you for it because B16 heads flow better
Old 06-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Stock for Now!!

i have a b16 turbo civic right now i was saying is there any benefit to putting my gsr head on my motor now
Old 06-23-2005, 02:58 PM
www.TeamDOHC.org

Originally Posted by boostedgsrcivic
i have a b16 turbo civic right now i was saying is there any benefit to putting my gsr head on my motor now
dpnt wprry bout the benifits & just trade me then youll have an extra B16 head
Old 06-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

A small change in boost will override any differences between the heads. If you were doing an N/A buildup it would be different, but I don't think you'll notice with a turbo. Honestly, if you're trying to find the odd HP in your engine setup, there are lots more things you should be doing anyway that will narrow the gap between the GSR and B16 heads. Properly prepared, they should perform pretty much the same. If you've already got a B16 setup, use that. If you want to use the GSR setup, grab another shortblock and start a buildup project, and swap that in when it's prepped to run big power.