Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Head question

Old 03-18-2004, 07:07 PM
Die reinste Bösen.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear
Default Head question

Im going to be redoing my z6 head. Now I will be putting in a much more aggresive camshaft and I am planning on upgrading my springs and retainers because thats what I have been advised to do. Now i understand what springs do, but retainers I dont understand really what they do and why i would need to replace them with stronger ones. The zex site recommends new springs and retainers, and while they offer titanium springs they dont offer upgradeable retainers. could i use another brand of retainers and get the desired result? also would it be better to get the most aggresive zex cam or the crower stage 3 cam. im looking for all out performance. i dont give a shit about idle or the lower RPMS. thanks for answering my questions (in advance)
Old 03-22-2004, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

superls92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Head question

The lower weight of the retainers are supposed to help you be able to get even higher in rpm's by like 200-300 and the springs are a must especially if you want to go stage 3 and up. Crower sucks I hear nothing but bad things,
comp cams, zex, and crane are recommended.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:39 PM
Dont Be Scared Homie

Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu

according to the JUN site, the higher strength and light weight of an upgraded retainer allows for better response.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:52 PM

Devine_wind has disabled reputation

Depends what your desires that you expect from this. Messing with the cam alters the engine as a whole drastically. The bigger the lobes, longer the duration, larger the lift can make you idle rough(er) than stock, depends on your application that you want to persue, sounds to me that this may be your daily ride so you might want to have the stage 1 or 2 cam if you want to keep this car street manageable. The z6 head is more for the higher end power and revs as opposed to the y8 but hinders the low end torque. Same with the activity of the cam.

If you go with zex(comp cams)59100 stage 1, you have to use new springs(stock) 59300 you have to use a spring rate that exceeds stock to combat valve "floating" atleast titanium retainers this is a MUST. Comp cam gives a 1 year warranty. It is always a good idea to use the same company with the cam that you chose.

You can buy just the retainers, or springs from www.landspeedracing.com. or I can refer you to my guys down at georgia at KMS ENGINEERING. I am using their springs and retainers, it's less than 60.00 savings, it's your call. If you have questions you can write me an email at onedopeasian7o2@hotmail.com , I will be more than happy to assist you.
Their number is 1-770-652-3538. I hope this helps

Last edited by Devine_wind; 03-22-2004 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:26 AM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

thank you very much guys... divine wind: i just might be shootin one your way in a bit.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:34 AM
Kimchee Wiggler

Boostfed Boostfed Boostfed Boostfed Boostfed Boostfed

Yes the retainers will allow you to rev higher as will the valve sprinsg which will allow you to run a higher lift and duration cam. I can get Rocket Motorsports and RLZ Engineering valve springs and retainers cheap. Hit me up if interested. http://m24x.com/

www.hondaraceengines.com

Just FYI I am haing a head sponosored by RLZ Engineering and Rocket Motorsports, RLZ is porting and polishing it and Rocket is providing the springs, retainers and valves. I wouldn't just anyone so you know these are good.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:27 AM

keyd has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by gear
Now i understand what springs do, but retainers I dont understand really what they do and why i would need to replace them with stronger ones.
Retainers (along with the keepers) lock the valve to the springs.

Also, If the retainer doesn't fit/match the spring well, the spings can develop 'harmonics' or 'spring chatter' which is very harmful to your valve train.