Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Help!! coilover question!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Blang Blang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com
Default Help!! coilover question!!!

i have D2 coilovers on my s14, last weekend we mounted my wheels, rolled/pulled my fenders, and lowered the car. on the rear we weren't quite sure how it was supposed to be done exactly but we ended up just dropping the spring using the 2 upper adjustment nuts. since lowering it there was a periodic slamming noise coming from the right rear. well tonight i pulled the wheel off and found that the spring was not touching the top of the coilover and i am guessing that the noise occurs when the shock compresses quickly and the spring slams into the upper mount. now, it looks like there is a third nut on the very bottom that meets the top of the base of the shock but it will not come loose (tried breaker bars, hammer and screwdriver, lube, heat). now i am just wondering if this is in fact a nut and to lower properly that nut must be loosened and the threaded section of the shock be threaded into the base. we also noticed when we tried to loosen the bottom nut it seemed like the base itself was separating and we were thinking the gas chamber might have been loosening so we stopped. so if anyone could off any insight it would be greatly appreciated. sorry for the rambling.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

toyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Help!! coilover question!!!

The spring should be sitting on the adjusting nut. There should be two there. You'll need a spanner wrench to loosen and tighen them. Loosen the bottom one (22) down so that the one (21) between the spring and the bottom one can be adjusted. When your done, tighten up on the bottom one (22) so it's snug up ageinst the top one (21). I hope that helps you out.

http://www.d2racingsport.co.uk/Pages/coilovers.asp
Old 12-08-2007, 03:22 AM
ZOR - WE'RE BACK!

cole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these parts

nick the shock tubes should have adjusted

like the purple tube at the bottom that bolts to the brake assembly screws up and down

screw it up to lower the car and make sure the final locking screw is reversed on it to make sure it doesn't go anywhere. if you want i can do it for you. call me today
Old 12-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Blang Blang

sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com

Originally Posted by toyota_aristo
The spring should be sitting on the adjusting nut. There should be two there. You'll need a spanner wrench to loosen and tighen them. Loosen the bottom one (22) down so that the one (21) between the spring and the bottom one can be adjusted. When your done, tighten up on the bottom one (22) so it's snug up ageinst the top one (21). I hope that helps you out.

http://www.d2racingsport.co.uk/Pages/coilovers.asp
yes that is what we did but the spring isnt touching "18", so its slamming into 18 when i hit any sort of bump and we cant break "24" loose.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Blang Blang

Originally Posted by cole
nick the shock tubes should have adjusted

like the purple tube at the bottom that bolts to the brake assembly screws up and down

screw it up to lower the car and make sure the final locking screw is reversed on it to make sure it doesn't go anywhere. if you want i can do it for you. call me today
ok thats what i thought.i needed verification that the bottom thing "24" is supposed to adjust. thats what we cant break loose. it keeps loosening something else down inside so we never went any further