Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Overheating Issues!?!?

Old 12-05-2007, 04:28 AM
has a huge dong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER
Default Overheating Issues!?!?

Car: 95 Mazda Mx-6 V6

Problem: It is overheating after extended use of the vehicle. The coolant level is fine AND fresh. The fans seem to be kicking on. I can turn the heat on full blast, and the temp gauge just continues to rise If i stay stationary for a moment, like in a drive-thru line, it will start to rise, and even when i take off, it doesn't cool down.
Thermostat maybe? ...but if it was the thermostat, the fans would not kick on, right? God i miss my honda

Any help is apprciated, thanks...
Old 12-05-2007, 04:45 AM
S.N.F.

94jdmlude is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Overheating Issues!?!?

blown head gasket
Old 12-05-2007, 05:03 AM
has a huge dong

the oil looked perfect as of yesterday though, no coolant in it at all....
Old 12-05-2007, 05:12 AM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VB2NER
Car: 95 Mazda Mx-6 V6

Problem: It is overheating after extended use of the vehicle. The coolant level is fine AND fresh. The fans seem to be kicking on. I can turn the heat on full blast, and the temp gauge just continues to rise If i stay stationary for a moment, like in a drive-thru line, it will start to rise, and even when i take off, it doesn't cool down.
Thermostat maybe? ...but if it was the thermostat, the fans would not kick on, right? God i miss my honda

Any help is apprciated, thanks...
Fans are based on coolant temperature. Coolant temp sensor is working, and the fans are coming on.

It sounds like it could be a thermostat, or possibly a water pump. The other possibility (being a city car, you're not likely to see this) is bugs and crap having blocked off enough of the radiator to cause it to overheat. I come from a town with a lot of bugs, moisture, and dust/dirt. We usually did 2-3 a year for that in a shop I used to work in.

But I'm laying odds it's a water pump when you trace it down.
Radiator - Free check, look and see if you can see through most of the fins.
Thermostat, $20 fix, well worth trying first!
But call it a hunch....Sounds like the coolant is either going through so fast it's not cooling (broken thermostat) or it's going through so slow it's getting very hot while in the motor (broken water pump, possibly thermostat stuck closed somewhat.)
Old 12-05-2007, 05:21 AM
has a huge dong

thanks for the educated response man

i was going to pick up a thermostat later, and try it out. i am in denial about the waterpump,lol, because it is rediculously hard to get to on this motor, but obviously a possibility, and i can do a fresh timing belt while i'm at it.. I got this car from a kid up north, so bugs in the radiator could be a factor if anything, and i will check/clean as needed.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:48 AM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

i was going to pick up a thermostat later, and try it out. i am in denial about the waterpump,lol, because it is rediculously hard to get to on this motor, but obviously a possibility, and i can do a fresh timing belt while i'm at it.. I got this car from a kid up north, so bugs in the radiator could be a factor if anything, and i will check/clean as needed.
I feel you on the water pump. 2.0 SOHC Dodge Neon. Chilton lists 7.5 hrs.... Enough said!
Old 12-05-2007, 05:52 AM
has a huge dong

no shit!?! man thats a rough one, hopefully i can avoid doing it on this for a while!
Old 12-05-2007, 05:56 AM
Slowest HRC Member

I feel you on the water pump. 2.0 SOHC Dodge Neon. Chilton lists 7.5 hrs.... Enough said!
Old 12-05-2007, 05:56 AM
Slowest HRC Member

I'm owned by the double post.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:06 AM
Registered Member

04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute04DaytonaZ has a reputation beyond repute

Water Pump

Quick Reply: Overheating Issues!?!?