Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

help!! acura questions

Old 10-25-2004, 04:50 PM
Board Redhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stylngle2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help!! acura questions

hey gang, i dont post here much, but figured you guys are knowledgeable and may be able to help me and a friend out:

car is 1990 acura legend L v6
mileage is ~104000
located in richmond

problem has been persistent for several months, basically getting worse. my friend (its his car) complained about it, and i told him i thought the problem was ignition related.

its symptoms include bucking while attempting to accelerate on the highway (very hesistant to speed up), rough idle with the occasional miss, and poor gas mileage. this past weekend, it refused to run, so he got it towed to the nearest Midas (eek! i know) to get diagnosed. It is currently sitting at the midas in Short Pump, and after a $80 "diagnosis" (i call bullshit on that bc anyone would have guessed what they did) they decide that the cap, rotor and distributor need to be replaced. now...i told my friend to do the cap and rotor like a month ago, but he honestly hasnt had the time, so i knew those would need to be done, but i dont see why the dizzy needs to be fixed as well.

anyone have experience with the 2.7L V6 and/or the distributor going bad after only 100000 miles, or have an idea how long it would take to replace if some very experienced home mechanics (namely myself and mayday) did the work? Midas wants to gouge my friend for fuckin $500 to do all the work, and if all three need to be replaced, I found parts online for 200 total and would really like to save him the dough. i'd also be checking the condition of the wires and the plugs are "not the right ones for the car" according to Midas, so I'd check that for truth as well.

sorry bout the long post, but I'd really appreciate some feedback on the matter, and also whether anyone else has bad experiences with the Short Pump Midas. thanks guys!
Old 10-25-2004, 08:12 PM
Board Redhead

Default Re: help!! acura questions

bump...anyone got experience with a distributor on an acura V6?
Old 10-26-2004, 06:38 AM
Currently N/A

EvolutionBoostin is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like the average mechanic trying to fuck you. if the car isn't throwing any check engine codes, then the distributor is probably fine. Why don't you just try to change the cap and wires yourself and see if that fixes it? If not, just slap on another distributor from u-wrench-it and call it done. Forget paying $500 for that.

It's easy to change a distributor...take out three bolts, unclip the wiring harnesses, and pull off the spark plug wires. Reverse the process with the new dizzy.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:55 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

change cap, rotor, plug wires like you stated, also you might want to think about the ignitor, also a bad coil can cause the car to buck.......you can do all this yourself if you know how to turn a wrench........itll take 10 minutes..........
Old 10-26-2004, 08:14 AM
Board Redhead

yea, i agree with all of the above...tho its not my car and my friend's mother (the owner) wants a "professional" to do the work if possible. i have offered to do all the work for a pizza, because thats how i do things. i told my friend to call me so we could go get a cap and rotor like a month ago, but he never did. i'm not tryin to let him get fucked here, so i'm gonna tell him exactly what you guys told me.

Originally Posted by EvolutionBoostin
It's easy to change a distributor...take out three bolts, unclip the wiring harnesses, and pull off the spark plug wires. Reverse the process with the new dizzy.
that's exactly what i was lookin for, thanks so much! i will post back and let you guys know what happens.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:39 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

that engine is not cheap for parts.

and yes, its like all other honda distributors that go out at higher milage. its common.

however, it could be other things. (ignitor, coil, etc.)

last i recall, that engine was not the easiest to get to the distributor (my ALLDATA is down at the moment, otherwise i would throw up a flowchart)
Old 10-27-2004, 09:03 AM
Board Redhead

its all fixed now...just cap and rotor was needed, i did plugs too. the dizzy was 160 at napa plus a $50 core charge, thankfully we didnt have to do it. MIdas is shitty