Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Guys with Dseries experience GET IN HERE. tranny issues?

Old 09-15-2013, 05:11 AM
mmmhhm sheeet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1
Default Re: Guys with Dseries experience GET IN HERE. tranny issues?

Originally Posted by ChokolAwt
does it make the bearing noise at idle with the engine running and your foot off the clutch pedal? if so, that's a bad input shaft bearing. i've replaced/rebuilt a handful of d-series transmissions and it's pretty easy if you're looking to gain insight on repairing them and how they work.

hondapartscheap.com or like majestic honda up in rhode island will sell you all the bearings/seals you need to rebuild it for ~$100, so its like the same price to replace as it is to refresh your current transmission. the only downside would be finding f'ed up dog teeth or a burnt syncro hub or something while you're in there.

here's some pictures of a recent rebuilt i did:
ISB sitting next to it's spot in the case. tap this out with a long extension from the clutch side of the transmission.

this one has the ISB in the lower right (what's most likely making your noise)[/URL]

picture of the gear stacks pulled out of the case. you'll most likely want to disassemble these to clean the oiling holes. if your ISB does go bad, the plastic spacer that holds the ball bearings in place disintegrates and clogs the oiling holes on your main and countershaft. easiest thing to do is just have a large workbench and take pictures or number things as you pull them off. it's really no more difficult than sparkplugs once you get the transmission apart.

this is a picture of one of the gears, you'll wanna "scuff the cone" meaning take some fine sandpaper to the smooth part and take away any burn marks or hot spots. the dog teeth are the gear teeth above the actual gear itself. make sure those aren't too rounded.

this is a picture of one of the oiling holes that you should clean out of bearing remnants

a disassembled main stack. the gears on this one usually just slide up and off. no bolts or anything weird. just keep tabs so you know which order they should go back on.

disassembled countershaft. the bolt at the top of it is easy to get off with air, otherwise a vise with some wood blocks and a rag around the bottom of it and a breaker bar and you should be able to get the top bolt off. a gear puller will most likely need to be used to pull the top 2 bearings off of it.

if you have any other questions shoot me a pm. i'd be more than willing to send you more pictures or whatever. good luck dude!
Wow i really appreciate all the knowledge & especially pics to go with it man. ill defiantly be messaging you, at first I'm just gonna try to drive it softly for 2 months till i get settled into this new apartment & don't owe so much at one time.
Ill most likely buy another transmissions as others have stated, and swap that for the time being (can't be out of work long, my only dd) and taking my trans out to re-build, and look into gearing & what not.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:15 AM
mmmhhm sheeet

crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1

Originally Posted by Travis.
itll probably keep driving just fine a good while. not saying you should let it eat but still.
yeah I'm hoping to just pull two months out of her while babying it, thanks for all the help everyone!

Ill be re-painting a fiberglass boat of mine to sell soon, and ill start the trans re-build/new lower mile d15b & boost.
ill begin a new thread when that time comes
Old 09-15-2013, 05:23 AM
mmmhhm sheeet

Originally Posted by boredom
literally any d-series hydro transmission will work in your car, and as stated you shouldnt be paying too much over $100 for it. go to a pick and pull if all else fails, you'll have a 30 day warranty
very true, ill look into a few we have around the area this upcoming week/weekend.
iv heard others say the transmissions with vtec motors are geared more aggressively than the non-vtec, if i find a low mile non-vtec trans, will i feel any decrease in pick up? I'm not driving like a crazy ass, but id like to not get run over on the interstate lol
Old 09-15-2013, 06:52 AM
Flatulence

PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov

Mainshaft/input shaft bearing took a shit on you. Just rebuilt a d series trans at my shop. It's a common problem with them. O.p I actually have the bearing and the seal you need. Brand new Honda genuine. P.m if you need help
Old 09-15-2013, 06:58 AM
mmmhhm sheeet

Originally Posted by PicovAndropov
Mainshaft/input shaft bearing took a shit on you. Just rebuilt a d series trans at my shop. It's a common problem with them. O.p I actually have the bearing and the seal you need. Brand new Honda genuine. P.m if you need help
p'md
Old 09-15-2013, 08:43 AM
Unregistered Member

Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis.

you could also buy another trans for cheap, rebuild that one/replace said bearing out of the car and then swap one evening. that way you still have your car to drive everyday, then the trans you put in will be good and you know it will be. little more costly, less worrisome in the end. Then sell old trans off, or even rebuild old one and sell it off. once money allows it of course.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt

Originally Posted by crisissk8ter1
iv heard others say the transmissions with vtec motors are geared more aggressively than the non-vtec, if i find a low mile non-vtec trans, will i feel any decrease in pick up? I'm not driving like a crazy ass, but id like to not get run over on the interstate lol
with a stock motor you wont notice much if anything at all.