Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

ek wiring

Old 02-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blaznkwest will become famous soon enough
Default ek wiring

I have been having a few electrical issues with my ek, specifically the passenger side door power locks not working properly. That is, if it is connected, the radio doesn't work, so temporarily I am leaving it disconnected.

Well today I installed a cd player in the car, and as I was taking off the driver's side under-dash panel, I noticed there is a green female connector that was taped to a bunch of wires, but could not find where it went to.

My questions: - Does anybody know what the green connector is or where it goes?
-Also, the wires going to the passenger speaker are the same color as the wires that go to the door locks, is this normal? I know the car was in a collision and was hit on the passenger side, so I'm assuming whoever put a new door in there didn't hook it up right.

Sorry if this is a bit choppy, a little tired and have a lot of possibilities running through my mind. Thanks
Old 02-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-
Default Re: ek wiring

96-98 run the keyless entry through the stereo. To keep keyless entry there is a conversion harness that connects to the OEM radio, you tuck that behind the dash and then a connector comes off of the OEM radio to the aftermarket radio. Allowing you to keep keyless entry and have an aftermarket radio.

I don't know if this is your problem, but when I was professionally installing stereos this is what I had to do.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Hmm that could be part of it. Kelyess entry doesn't work either. There was already an aftermarket cd player in the car when I bought it, but I don't know what the conversion harness looks like.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

The_Truth The_Truth

The harness (from the Metra supplier) is called 70-1720T. Thats for a harness you plug into the vehicles existing plug and you have raw wires to solder to the CD player's specific harness. If you don't want to solder, there are smart harnesses available which are simply plug and play. I don't know if its available for that particular harness, but if it is, the part number is 80-1720T. You get the brand specific smart harness for whatever CD player you have, plug the two harnesses together, and one end into the car harness, one end into the CD player...DONE! That's the easiest way to do it, however some people say the smart harnesses go bad more frequently than if you were to solder together your own harness.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

I plan on getting an alarm installed sometime in the near future, would that harness still be necessary or will the alarm come with all necessary wiring?
Old 02-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

The_Truth The_Truth

It depends...I'm not exactly sure how that particular wiring system works for that vehicle. The new alarm would simply send a pulse to either the vehicles lock or unlock wire, and would be completely independent from the factory keyless entry system. My only concern is if the radio harness is a break in the connection for the lock/unlock wires. In this case you would need to have the harness I mentioned in order to keep these circuits continuous. In all honesty, if I were in your shoes, I would get the harness as a precaution. You can use the existing radio harness thats in there already (provided the vehicle's radio harness plug wasn't cut out) and just solder the new harness to the one that plugs into the radio. All you have to do is match colors and you can get the harness for less than 20 dollars. I would go that route.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Ok now after contacting the previous owner, she said that she had put in the aftermarket cd player about 4 years ago, and the keyless entry just stopped working about 6months ago. Also, she said that she got hit on the passenger side a few years back, and the insurance company didn't pay for anything, so she didn't pay "extra for the passenger door to have power locks". Which is weird because there is a wire that is coming from the door that plugs into the locks. I did notice however that the power was now converted to a manual type mirror. Anybody might be able to look at this for me and figure out what is going on?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

I got the keyless entry working, the remote just wasn't programmed to the car. I took the car up to the Honda dealership where a friend works, and come to find out, this isn't the right door for this car. The wiring harness is completely different according to honda, so i would need it re-wired if i wanted power locks on the passenger side. I'm not that worried about it, a small luxury I can avoid having.

Thanks for all who helped!
Old 02-23-2009, 03:11 PM
for alarms/rmt-strts

EH3_SOHC has disabled reputation

or you could buy an alarm, and add in an additional 30 bucks and ill install an actuator