Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

BOLT-ON OR CUSTOM INTAKE?

Old 02-22-2009, 05:41 AM
NormalBlackGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alamarmoore is a jewel in the roughAlamarmoore is a jewel in the roughAlamarmoore is a jewel in the rough
Default BOLT-ON OR CUSTOM INTAKE?

I have a 1995 Toyota Avalon. Yea I know its not the best car to mod but it's my first car. So i've been doing my research a couple of days looking for bolt-on intakes. I checked K&N and AEM. None had one for my car. So I thought about a custom intake. I dont want ot spend all this money on a custom intake and a bolt-on can do better. Does anyone know companies that make intakes for the Avalon? Thanx....

Also, do they have performance chips for the Avalon too? I seen some but they look like scams.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: BOLT-ON OR CUSTOM INTAKE?

Any intake that will bolt up should work fine. Really a good aftermarket filter is the most important part, followed by a freer flowing intake tube. So an intake from any car that will properly fit yours will do as good a job as any other; check out other Toyota models with the same/similar engine.

I'd do some research first, to see how well the stock intake actually flows. Some cars (like WRX) have a stock intake which can support much greater than stock power, so a simple filter upgrade is the best mod for light power upgrades.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Ramey Built

JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt

To be honest, I wouldn't even waste my time or money. I had an accord and looking back on it, spending the money on it was the biggest waste.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just speaking from experience. I wish I would've saved my money and used it on a project or another car.

That's just my $.02.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:56 PM
MAGICAL FRIENDSHIP

streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp

Save your money for gas or for a car that will actually give you a reasonable performance return for your money
Old 02-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Its a Man part.

8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute8====D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by streetlamp
Save your money for gas or for a car that will actually give you a reasonable performance return for your money
Well I agree with what he said... but I think you should do what makes you happy. So with that being said here is what I can offer as advice.

First id find out what your stock bore is on your throttle body. Then id find a car is is somewhat commonly modded with the same stock bore throttle body. Then look at intakes for that car. Look at the free space in you eng bay and match up the other car's intake to be sure there is room... there you go.

If thats not an option.. put a good filter on your stock intake hose as stated above
Old 02-22-2009, 07:19 PM
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well

Originally Posted by streetlamp
I third that,

we're not out to kill your dreams but just wait till your filter is dirty and replace it.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:43 PM
NormalBlackGuy

Alamarmoore is a jewel in the roughAlamarmoore is a jewel in the roughAlamarmoore is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by B-Well
I third that,

we're not out to kill your dreams but just wait till your filter is dirty and replace it.
true... yea i thought about it. and thats just my daily driven car for now. I wanna et a honda hatch EF or EG. both are nice to me. Yea but thanxs tho.