Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

edelbrock turbo kit on b16

Old 02-23-2010, 06:26 AM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: edelbrock turbo kit on b16

Why head lift though? The boost pressure should be waaaay to low to worry about that, unless there is/was a serious detonation problem. I'm just not seeing a way for the cylinder pressure to get that high and I'm assuming the head was torqued properly. Maybe the head wasn't torqued properly...?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:03 AM
loved by all

ForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by wright
Op, just take the head off of it to see if there is anything major wrong. Get some head studs and an OEM head gasket. I would also think about removing the piggy back unit and switch to Crome. It might help you out in the long run.
seriously dude?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:06 AM
loved by all

ForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Why head lift though? The boost pressure should be waaaay to low to worry about that, unless there is/was a serious detonation problem. I'm just not seeing a way for the cylinder pressure to get that high and I'm assuming the head was torqued properly. Maybe the head wasn't torqued properly...?
thats my thing, i dont know why it would be lifting under such low pressure. all i can think of is that the bolts were used or not torqued properly. A 5 year old could torque one of these heads down tho so it doesnt make sense to me.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:47 AM
loved by all

i just ordered some arp studs and should be picking up a headgasket tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:48 PM
loved by all

ok i still need help. it turns out the head is good and the water really was coming from the turbo. so i disconnected the water from it and am just running it with out. But i still cant get the damn thing to spool more than 3psi. I know i dont have a boost leak from a loose coupling so thats out of the question. i actually replaced all the clams with heavy duty T style hose clamps and pressureised the whole thing to listen for leaks and there isnt any. so im good there. Today i had the car running and manually opened the wastegate with some compresed air and it shot a shitton of carbon out the exhaust. It peppered my garage door and floor. Im really close to sending the turbo back to edelbrock so they can send it to garrett to be rebuilt. Im stumped, Ive had 4 turbo cars so far and never come across a problem where the turbo wouldnt spool. I NEED HELP PLEASE.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:51 PM
loved by all

turbo goes pssstfffffff...