Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

edelbrock turbo kit on b16

Old 02-20-2010, 09:57 AM
loved by all

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these parts
Default edelbrock turbo kit on b16

I just put this kit on my 2000 si and im pretty disapointed with it. The whole reason i chose this kit instead of building one that would make big power is because i wanted little to no lag and for the turbo to spool at very low throttle percentage and rpm. It says it should be pushing between 7-8 psi. The most ive gotten out of it has been 4psi and thats at 100% throttle and really high rpms. the turbo is a garrett gt25 and i feel it should be spoolin rather easily. In order of me to get any boost i have to give it 100% throttle and even then it doesnt spool untill about 7.5k rpm. anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? Im pretty sure everything is connected properly. the only vacume lines are for the waste gate and the bov. ive got the wastegate going to the manifold inlet pipe. and the bov going to the actuall intake mani.

please help. this thing is bothering the shit out of me.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: edelbrock turbo kit on b16

A GT25 on a B16 should spool pretty damn fast, that's a tiny turbo. How large is the vacuum line going to the wastegate, and how long is it? You may be getting too much pressure drop through the line, but I don't think that's the problem. Also, what are you using for a downpipe and exhaust?
Old 02-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

vxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to all

Sounds like boost leak. Check all your couplers and also gaskets between turbo-manifold-head. Also, make sure that you have the little ring thing (Sorry, forgot what its called) installed in the wastegate.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:16 AM
loved by all

ForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
A GT25 on a B16 should spool pretty damn fast, that's a tiny turbo. How large is the vacuum line going to the wastegate, and how long is it? You may be getting too much pressure drop through the line, but I don't think that's the problem. Also, what are you using for a downpipe and exhaust?
the downpipe is included in the kit and iit attaches to the stock cat and i have an aftermarket catback. the line to the wastgate is as short as possible and was included in the kit.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:18 AM
loved by all

Originally Posted by vxcoastie
Sounds like boost leak. Check all your couplers and also gaskets between turbo-manifold-head. Also, make sure that you have the little ring thing (Sorry, forgot what its called) installed in the wastegate.
the wastegate is internal and from what i can tell cant be taken apart. it comes from the factory pre-assembled.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:08 PM
loved by all

ok now i have coolant pissing out of my exhaust.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:17 PM
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well

take the kit off

re install it taking your time this time.

dont forget anything.

you have loads of leaks, fluid/air
Old 02-21-2010, 01:43 PM
loved by all

Originally Posted by B-Well
take the kit off

re install it taking your time this time.

dont forget anything.

you have loads of leaks, fluid/air
I took my time and did everything right. It's looking like a bad head gasket.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Cool story Hansel.

Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28

What have you done for tuning? Get yourself a boost leak tester, you have a boost leak somewhere. The turbo might be damaged from overboosting, though you technically never saw that boost.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:02 PM
loved by all

The edelbrock kit comes with it's own engine management system. It ties into the factory ecu. The edelbrock mani has two fuel rails and 8 injectors and is controlled by there little piggyback ecu jammy. I also have oil in my intake runners but the compression tests perfectly. I think I'm going to pull the head tomorrow and take a gander.

Quick Reply: edelbrock turbo kit on b16