Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

couple questions for a 96 civic HX

Old 09-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OneBad1.5 has disabled reputation
Default couple questions for a 96 civic HX

I will be honest, i dont really know much (anything) about the HX motor. Someone told me that it's VTEC is for fuel economy and not for speed. i didnt know there was anything like that. if that is the case is there a way to change that to be for power and not fuel economy? another question on that note, what RPM should the VTEC be kicking in because in my car it feels like around 3gs. last question i have is, can anybody tell me the advantages of the HX motor (is it a pretty strong block, is the tranny worth shit, etc) if there is any, also the disadvantages would be kindly welcomed also. I appreciate as much feedback as possible. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2005, 07:09 PM
I drive a coupe

Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)
Default Re: couple questions for a 96 civic HX

Ok, I might be able to help you out...

The Hx has something called Vtec-e, which is not like conventional vtec in that it does not improve horespower. Vtec-e is actually the opposite... What it does is creates a lean condition in your cylinders by using only one intake valve before 3,000 rpm. After 3 g's the second intake valve is locked in and you are basically like a dx again...

If you want to improve horsepower, you should do a swap and get rid of that crappy econo piece of crap. You should go with a b series, but at a bare minimum go with a d16y8, mini me is not an option for you because that motor has a very low compression, which is the opposite of what a mini me is trying to achieve...

Your transmission sucks for acceleration. Your tranny is about one of the worst they make, (unless you boost). What you should do is get a d16y8 and boost, but keep the hx tranny because the gears are very long. You would be in boost for a long time, especially if you have a large turbo...

Maybe that helped you out a little bit...
Old 09-08-2005, 11:46 PM

brooksto has disabled reputation

I am currently running a y8 block and head with hx pistons. hx has 9.4:1 compression, y8 has 9.6:1, so its not going to make a noticeable difference in that respect, but the y8 head is much better in the upper rpm. A mini-me using a y8 head is a great option for you. The block and bottom end of the hx and y8 are identical except for the pistons. You didnt mention whether you had the cvt or the manual tranny.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

OneBad1.5 has disabled reputation

Damn, kinda bums me out. And yea its a 5 spd. So if i have no cash for a swap, would it be stupid to try and build up the hx motor and boost it cuz i know a few people that i can get a greddy kit from. the long gears are sweet so i will keep the tranny but im just wondering how the motor will hold up under boost. my old 93 DX held up awsome at 12 PSI for over 10 months but i wrecked it. anyways, thanks for the input guys!
Old 09-09-2005, 11:49 AM
www.CM-R.net

CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing

DONT swap in a y8 if you are going to do anything to it... get a z6 from the 92-95.. all 96 up d-series have shitty ass oil pumps... 92-95 z6 is the best d-series, has a better flowing head and gains more from bolt ons than the y8 and also has the better oil pump...
Old 09-09-2005, 09:41 PM
I drive a coupe

Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)

ya thats true...

Thats why I said "at a minimum go with the y8", the z6 is definately a better motor, but a y8 would still be a better motor than the one he has in now. Also, a y8 will plug right in to your existing wiring harness and all you need to do is swap the ecu. I think vtec would already be wired for you in the stock wiring harness(if its not, it isnt hard to run the wires)...

If you do go with a z6, it will take some more wiring. Just get an obd2-obd1 conversion harness for like 90 bucks and run the wires through your firewall, its not hard. You can buy d series motors on here all the time for really cheap.