Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Cluth type Fan to Electric Fan

Old 11-23-2010, 05:19 PM
U LòÓk Mad !!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Cluth type Fan to Electric Fan

Well I want to change to an electric fan for the same reason i took off my AC compressor fan till summer. I'm not tryna gain 50HP!! removing my belts I just wanna free up some of the stress on my old ass motor. To my knowledge electric fans are also quieter n I've been pickn at stuff since I swapped in this other motor.

My only "valid" reason is that I want less noise under the hood n I wanna get rid of the giant plastic shroud that's in there so next time I have to change the thermostat or water pump I don't have to take off the clutch fan again

Last edited by CarShowz; 11-23-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by CarShowz
Well I want to change to an electric fan for the same reason i took off my AC compressor fan till summer. I'm not tryna gain 50HP!! removing my belts I just wanna free up some of the stress on my old ass motor. To my knowledge electric fans are also quieter n I've been pickn at stuff since I swapped in this other motor.

My only "valid" reason is that I want less noise under the hood n I wanna get rid of the giant plastic shroud that's in there so next time I have to change the thermostat or water pump I don't have to take off the clutch fan again.
Those are all valid reasons to do it... I was just pointing out that it's silly to do it unless you have an actual reason because the stock fan works fine. You might be able to find an aftermarket fan for that specific OEM radiator if you can't find something that will work well from a junkyard.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:03 PM
U LòÓk Mad !!

CarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these parts

would replacing the stock pieces w/aluminum fan and shroud be just as effective as getting an electric fan? Is the clutch fan that much stress on the belt it shares with the water pump or would it just be better to get some underdrive pulleys?
Old 11-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Fuck underdrive pulleys. They're a bad solution to just about every problem. Any belt stress caused by the fan is going to be mostly caused by load on the fan moving air, so changing to an aluminum fan isn't going to give you much gain. Slightly less rotational inertia maybe, but not much else.

If you want an electric fan, get an electric fan. I wouldn't bother replacing the stock fan with anything else of a similar type, so either keep the stock fan or get an electric one.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:46 PM
U LòÓk Mad !!

OK so from that link he said clutch fans and eFans engage under the same Load conditions and an eFan may be quieter but will strain ur alternator. Since I recently blew my 75AMP alternator fuse that makes me feel that it may be more trouble than it's worth switching to an eFan cuz it may cause me to blow that fuse regularly and the clutch fan doesn't put enough stress on the motor to worry about?
Old 11-23-2010, 06:48 PM
U LòÓk Mad !!

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Fuck underdrive pulleys. They're a bad solution to just about every problem. Any belt stress caused by the fan is going to be mostly caused by load on the fan moving air, so changing to an aluminum fan isn't going to give you much gain. Slightly less rotational inertia maybe, but not much else.

If you want an electric fan, get an electric fan. I wouldn't bother replacing the stock fan with anything else of a similar type, so either keep the stock fan or get an electric one.
OK simple enough.....and I learned something. Thanks