Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Cluth type Fan to Electric Fan

Old 11-20-2010, 06:27 PM
U LòÓk Mad !!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these parts
Default Clutch type Fan to Electric Fan

Lookn through the nissans at the junkyard I noticed some Sentras n a Stanza with electric fans. Will the electric fan from a 90-94 Sentra fit my 90 240SX? When installing an electric fan to a car that didnt have one what else do you need? Does the electric fan plug into the sensor on the lower radiator hose or do I need something else?

Also some of those sentras have better conditioned seats...Will sentra seats just bolt in or will I have to figure out how to swap the rails?

Last edited by CarShowz; 11-20-2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-20-2010, 08:41 PM
U LòÓk Mad !!

CarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Cluth type Fan to Electric Fan

Nevermind found a write-up on NICO....I'd still like to know if the Sentra seats fit though
Old 11-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker

Probably not. S chassis seats have to conform to a fairly unique floorpan. The sentra doesn't have the same hump for the cat that the 240 does, and that hump really plays havoc on designing seat rails. I would recommend finding an s14 as those seats are direcr bolt ins
Old 11-21-2010, 11:09 AM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

just go to pep boys/etc and buy a electric fan..they are cheap...30 bucks..and comes with all the straps to mount it to radiator
Old 11-21-2010, 11:11 AM
mr.saltine

bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211

a thermostat to.just put it in the upper hose or jamb it thru the rad.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:49 PM
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well

Originally Posted by bos74211
a thermostat to.just put it in the upper hose or jamb it thru the rad.
bingo! should be located right next to the fans at the auot parts store and are pretty cheap.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:57 AM
Registered Member

Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker

The 89 has an auxilliary temp sensor in the lower hose that can work great for switching on a fan. I bought the hose to use on my 92 and power my e fan (which is just the auxilliary fan for a 91-94 but i don't run a/c).
Old 11-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Jay
VR-4ever

Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay

http://www.aaroncake.net/rx-7/efanmyth.htm
Old 11-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I know that guy means well, but the math and the logic completely ignore the operational differences between the two fan types. It's useless to draw conclusions about two things when those two things have different efficiencies, different duty cycles, etc. I do think it's a well done article, I just think it misses the mark in what it's trying to show. I know his disclaimer states that whatever he says only applies to whatever years of RX7, but that one car isn't the magic exception to all of the other cars cooled with a clutched fan. Disclaimers don't get you off the hook for doing a shoddy job of proving your point. So unless you're unbolting the stock fan and then bolting the same fan to an electric motor, then mounting it in the same location, most of the comparison just flies out the window.

From a practical standpoint, it's been shown throughout the automotive industry that electric fans usually consume less engine power, give better fuel economy, better engine transient response, lower noise, etc. Most all of the benefits come from the differences in how/when the electric fan is used when compared to a mechanical fan, and things like better fan ducting, different blade design, etc.. So a rough comparison based on simple math and simplistic logic doesn't really give a good overall picture of what's actually happening here.

I completely agree with a lot of the points in the article though; it's very possible to have horrible electric fan designs, etc. It's also very possible to undersize or improperly duct electric fans, which is a lot of the reason people say "I converted to electric fans and now my car overheats". You can have a really good electric or mechanical fan, and if you do a shit job of installing it you'll have shit fan performance. Not rocket science obviously, but much more common mistake than you'd think.

If changing to an electric fan means that the fan can be used more efficiently, an electric fan is better. That's about as simple as it gets.
The only thing simpler is to keep the OEM fan unless you actually have a valid reason to get rid of it.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 11-22-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:25 AM
Registered Member

Fabrik, I agree with your last statement, but in regards to the OP, we don't know what his reason for nabbing an e-fan is. In the 240 world, a lot of times people swap in an SR without doing the radiator. The upper hose is on the wrong side compared to a KA, so you have to run a cross pipe setup like this:

With a cross pipe like that, it's impossible to retain the clutch fan.

Whatever way we look at it, I'm sure he has a valid reason for wanting to put an e-fan in.

Quick Reply: Cluth type Fan to Electric Fan