Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Brand new engine is now making a smack sound.

Old 10-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva
Default Brand new engine is now making a smack sound.

Okay, I got a V6 2.5 Liter KLDE Mazda J-Spec engine in my MX-3.

Bad news was that the belt around the water pump snapped loose and it nearly overheated.

Fixed that.

So now I try starting the engine and it won't start up anymore. It did last time. I found out that the engine is flooded. I pull out my spark plugs to clean them off but upon removal I find that they are covered in a "wet black" substance. Smelled them and they smelled rich as shit. The wet black was the carbon and fuel all over the plugs, not oil. I clean them off and put them back in, and the car starts right up but then immediately stalls out. I find out that my vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator got pinched so I fixed that and she started right up. Then I start getting a grey/black smoke coming from the exhaust (it's not coolant! so don't suggest it is) and I can hear one of the pistons smacking which isn't good.

Any idea what could have happened and what's going on? This engine is practically new and now it's already damaged. Fuck.

Ideas?
Old 10-27-2005, 04:35 PM
midnight motorsports

minboostS13 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Brand new engine is now making a smack sound.

Sure it's the pistons? does it sound like a really loud valve tap? It coul be the water pump is bad now. Due to the bearings in the water pump, when the belt snapped it could have throwqn the pump off, causing the bearings in it to go bad.
This could also throw the ECU in safe mode and make the car run rich as fuck. This normally happens when the water pump and CTS are aligned or the CTS reads off the pump. It couldnt hurt to check it out, ive seen it before. Just put a screwdriver on the area near the pump and stick your ear to it...good luck.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:22 AM
Registered Member

outtatime703 is an unknown quantity at this point

i think you'd get a lot of help from www.probetalk.com and www.mx6.com as many ppl there have done the klze swap
Old 10-28-2005, 07:02 AM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by outtatime703
i think you'd get a lot of help from www.probetalk.com and www.mx6.com as many ppl there have done the klze swap
If you are bolding KLZE because you think it's a typo on his behalf, you're an idiot.

Good luck, you fuck up. Are any of your cars ready for a fucking race? Christ. Maybe, MAYBE, you should sell them all and buy something reliable.. like a Scion xA.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:36 PM
square1motorsports

90 hatch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Qwiksillva
Okay, I got a V6 2.5 Liter KLDE Mazda J-Spec engine in my MX-3.

Bad news was that the belt around the water pump snapped loose and it nearly overheated.

Fixed that.

So now I try starting the engine and it won't start up anymore. It did last time. I found out that the engine is flooded. I pull out my spark plugs to clean them off but upon removal I find that they are covered in a "wet black" substance. Smelled them and they smelled rich as shit. The wet black was the carbon and fuel all over the plugs, not oil. I clean them off and put them back in, and the car starts right up but then immediately stalls out. I find out that my vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator got pinched so I fixed that and she started right up. Then I start getting a grey/black smoke coming from the exhaust (it's not coolant! so don't suggest it is) and I can hear one of the pistons smacking which isn't good.

Any idea what could have happened and what's going on? This engine is practically new and now it's already damaged. Fuck.

Ideas?
my buddy had the same problem, low miles motor and he left the stock ecu in the car instead of getting the klze ecu and revved the car to high and then went the motor. pretty much everything you described is what happened to him.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva

Originally Posted by minboostS13
Sure it's the pistons? does it sound like a really loud valve tap? It coul be the water pump is bad now. Due to the bearings in the water pump, when the belt snapped it could have throwqn the pump off, causing the bearings in it to go bad.
This could also throw the ECU in safe mode and make the car run rich as fuck. This normally happens when the water pump and CTS are aligned or the CTS reads off the pump. It couldnt hurt to check it out, ive seen it before. Just put a screwdriver on the area near the pump and stick your ear to it...good luck.

I'm so fucking glad you mentioned that. Definitely a good idea to check out.

Originally Posted by spic
If you are bolding KLZE because you think it's a typo on his behalf, you're an idiot.

Good luck, you fuck up. Are any of your cars ready for a fucking race? Christ. Maybe, MAYBE, you should sell them all and buy something reliable.. like a Scion xA.
No. No. Fuck you.