Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

brake lights

Old 10-27-2004, 05:16 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slow4banger has much to be proud ofslow4banger has much to be proud ofslow4banger has much to be proud ofslow4banger has much to be proud ofslow4banger has much to be proud ofslow4banger has much to be proud ofslow4banger has much to be proud ofslow4banger has much to be proud ofslow4banger has much to be proud ofslow4banger has much to be proud ofslow4banger has much to be proud of
Default brake lights

for some reason my brake lights wont turn off, at all. so right now i have them unplugged. i dont know anything about electronics so i was wondering if anyone here could help me out.

thanks
nick
Old 10-27-2004, 05:43 AM
I have a 20 valve...

crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx
Default Re: brake lights

check your ebrake. There is a small micro switch that could have gotten stuck in the on position, making everybody think you are braking. pull the brake up a couple of times. thats the first thing I would try.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:15 AM
Got a new name.

GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel

I think he meant his actual brake lights. The ebrake only lights up the brake light in the console. As for the actual problem, sounds like your brake switch is stuck. It's located just above the pedal itself. The most likely cause is either a faulty switch (internally) or the switch mounting nuts are loose causing the switch to have backed out and not make contact with the brake pedal arm.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

slow4banger has much to be proud ofslow4banger has much to be proud ofslow4banger has much to be proud ofslow4banger has much to be proud ofslow4banger has much to be proud ofslow4banger has much to be proud ofslow4banger has much to be proud ofslow4banger has much to be proud ofslow4banger has much to be proud ofslow4banger has much to be proud ofslow4banger has much to be proud of

Its my actual brake lights, not the e-brake. I had to slam on my brakes and the lights have been on since then. What kind of switch is it? Is it a lever switch or a push button switch?
Thanks again for your help
Nick
Old 10-27-2004, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

ok, i found the switch and found out that it is a fault switch. now where can i buy one and how hard is it to install?
Old 10-27-2004, 01:46 PM
Got a new name.

GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel

Not really hard to install at all, aside from the fact that where it's located is pretty tight. From what I remember, there are two nuts that thread onto the switch itself and mount it in the bracket. As for getting it, local junkyard or a Honda Dealership would be the two best bets. You could try a parts store like Advance or Pep Boys but they likely don't have it in stock. If you go the junkyard route, I'm pretty sure that any 88-91 civic or crx would work for the part, unless there is a difference that I don't know about between the auto and manual versions. I'll check with my roommate tonight and see what he can come up with since he works at a Honda Dealer.

Forgot about the what kind of switch is it, it is a push button style, actually more like a plunger style as there is a large white piece that sticks out towards the brake pedal arm and when the pedal is depressed it releases the plunger and makes the connection for the brake light. You could likely rig something up but it would be real hard to find a switch large enough to fit the hole and actually stay in the same position while driving and such.

Last edited by GreySquirrel; 10-27-2004 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

thanks a lot for your help, it was a ***** to get to but i fixed it. now off to the next project.
thanks again
Nick