Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

bondo help

Old 07-15-2003, 08:46 PM
i-vtec dohc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AznPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bondo help

hey , me and my friend kioller wanted to take the side gaurds off of our honda's , u know the black side gaurd on the doors , and when u take it off it leavs those inch and a half size square holes, do i just sand it down , slap sum bondo , sand it smooth and primer it , or is there sumthin else i gota do? help!
Attached Thumbnails bondo help-side.jpg  
Old 07-15-2003, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince

yeah that'll work just make sur its smooth..not at all rough...go to like 1500 grit and all the way to metal. and then just fill it to the top with bondo. you're set.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:15 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

the best thing to do is take it to a body shop to do it, but if you refuse then you should take small metal plates, and get them welded on to cover the holes which will make it much easier to make flat and look descent, then fill with bondo, then sand some more, then sand some more, and some more then redo it all over again till its perfect, have fun, i advise against doing it yourself unless you are an experienced body tech, its alot harder than it seems.......
Old 07-16-2003, 03:22 AM
Registered Member

Not_Blazin is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend, who happens to do body work, grinded it down to the metal first, put some kinda tape on the inside of the hole(i guess so nothing would go through), then he slapped some fiberglass stuff on there, grinded it some more, and i think he used bondo last, then sanded again... I asked him about it a long time ago... he said something about not using ONLY bondo to cover deep areas.... I dunno, personally, that's just what i remember seeing and hearing...
Old 07-16-2003, 08:22 AM
On One Wheel

sprayedcivic has disabled reputation

grind it weld it grind it and then use some bondo or a spot putty bondo realy suxs if it gets hit hard it will fall out
Old 07-16-2003, 01:17 PM
SPAWN OF A NEW OP!

THE BEAST is an unknown quantity at this point

bondo should not be any thicker than a fat persons finger nail. the best way it to weld plates, grind down your welds, bondo, sand....sand bondo, sand......sand....until its perfect....point is...pay someone to do it or it will look like shit.....!!!!!!!
Old 07-16-2003, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince IC x Prince

or instead of bondo use newspaper. and wipe 1 coat of bondo. It'll be as solid as a rock.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:31 PM
RIP Chris Schader

g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x

lmao @ sandng to metal with 1500g
Old 07-16-2003, 04:58 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Bondo doesn't really have any reinforcement, which is why you shouldn't use it very thick. Plus, it's talc based and will absorb water. If you really have to fill up the whole channel, and don't want to do it the long way, use fiberglass reinforced bondo, the green/blue stuff. It's stronger and won't absorb water. Sand down to bare metal, and leave a nice coarse finish to the metal for some tooth...
There really isn't a good way to do this with body filler, because whatever you do it will make a heavy chunk of plastic that will eventually fall off or crack or whatever. There really isn't a lot of surface area to bond to relative to the weight of body filler, so a nice piece of fiberglass cloth that lays over the filled channel and overlaps the doorskin a bit might help. Reinforcement is key..
If you just want to cover the square holes, a few layers of fiberglass laid all along the molding channel will be plenty strong and keep the thickness even.

Oh yeah, the best way to do it if you want to fill the whole channel is to get a body shop to cut a strip of metal to cover the channel, basically the same technique as shaving door handles, etc..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 07-16-2003 at 05:02 PM.