Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

help using bondo

Old 06-03-2006, 07:54 AM
I'm MUAY THAIerd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
83ToyCel has disabled reputation
Default help using bondo

i need some tips for using bondo body filler on my 83 celica
Old 06-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: help using bondo

My first tip is to use any other brand than bondo, it's the worst out there. Try evercoat brand stuff, or go to a local body supply place.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

757 BMW 525i is on a distinguished road

its...... easy.

youre prolly like "AHH this stuff isnt sticking to the car" then SAND the surface then apply
OR
youre like " Ok the filler is on but its all wavy and not smooth like the rest of the car" then SAND with a block and apply more filler for your little pin holes and repeat
Old 06-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Make sure you degrease the surface before applying also..
Old 06-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Make sure you degrease the surface before applying also..
/\ and a nice rough finish gives the body filler something nice to adhere to.

My advice would be to stop at a local body repair supply store and ask an associate for what you need. It's pretty self explanatory. The flexible plastic body filler "appliers" make it easy to apply the filler, but you can use anything really. Go light on the hardener so you have more time to apply the filler smoothly. This will save you time spent on sanding.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Drunken Irish

djgruesome djgruesome djgruesome djgruesome djgruesome djgruesome djgruesome djgruesome djgruesome djgruesome djgruesome

Originally Posted by XCELR8
/\ and a nice rough finish gives the body filler something nice to adhere to.

My advice would be to stop at a local body repair supply store and ask an associate for what you need. It's pretty self explanatory. The flexible plastic body filler "appliers" make it easy to apply the filler, but you can use anything really. Go light on the hardener so you have more time to apply the filler smoothly. This will save you time spent on sanding.

+1 Somebody knows their bodywork
Old 06-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

augustschwartz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 83ToyCel
i need some tips for using bondo body filler on my 83 celica

Don't.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:10 AM
Racetracks

Going light on the hardener will also make the filler shrink less as it cures and will leave more time to use a cheese grater if you need to do rough shaping.

If you go to a body supply place, pick up some "body icing" also, it's a thinner version of body filler, and is excellent for filling sanding scratches, pinholes, and all those minor final defects. Get another color BPO hardener for the body icing so you have good color contrast over top of the regular body filler. It's the little tricks that make things easier.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

DC97Cobra is a name known to allDC97Cobra is a name known to allDC97Cobra is a name known to allDC97Cobra is a name known to allDC97Cobra is a name known to allDC97Cobra is a name known to all

anyone know of an automotive paint supply store on the peninsula?
Old 06-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by DC97Cobra
anyone know of an automotive paint supply store on the peninsula?
Yes, I can't remember their name right off hand, but on Mercury Blvd, (adjacent to the Sears store) there is a automotive body repair store in a building with Lee's dry cleaners and an Advance Auto parts. It's located on the same side of the street as Sears, but there is a small street between the two. There is a sign out on Mercury that has a rainbow (that sounds gay) colored sign.

Quick Reply: help using bondo