Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

B20 swap info

Old 03-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ej8D16y8-T is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B20 swap info

Hey has anybody done a b20 swap into a civic coupe? Will any B series tranny work with the b20 motor? What about motor mount? Is this swap a good option? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Clean Freak.

Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean
Default Re: B20 swap info

www.honda-tech.com
Old 03-21-2005, 07:48 PM
JAY SPEC

00civichatch 00civichatch

Originally Posted by Keepin it Klean
-AND-

get a ls and bore and sleeve it to 84mm. then you have a 2.0l ls without the problem of the "siamese" sleeves of the b20. plus the ls head flows better than the b20.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:06 PM
MP5
Team Rad Racing

MP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by 00civichatch
-AND-

get a ls and bore and sleeve it to 84mm. then you have a 2.0l ls without the problem of the "siamese" sleeves of the b20. plus the ls head flows better than the b20.
Where do you get this information from? The ls and the b20 head is basically the same. Also the B20 is a bored out B18 so you would still have the problem of your so called weak sleeves. Hell if you are that worried about it go with the B20 since the motor is cheaper and sleeve the B20. Hell it would save you the money of the more expensive B18 and then having the B18 bored to 84mm as well as sleeved.

Or you could have faith in a STOCK B20b and run 14lbs of boost daily for 8 months while putting 50-100 miles on it a day delivering pizzas and not have a problem with the motor like me.

To answer the guys question. I have a B20b in my 94 civic hatch which is the same as a 92-95 civic coupe. Any B series transmition will bolt up to the B20, but depending on your car and whether you have a hydrolic or cable clutch pedal you will need to go with either a hydrolic or cable tranny. As far as motor mounts you will need to buy some to go with your swap. Which mounts you need depend on what year car you have and so forth. Is that motor a good option? Thats on you. It is all in what you want. I am happy with mine and what it is doing for me.

Last edited by MP5; 03-21-2005 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:14 AM
Registered Member

MP5 thanks for the info man. That was alot of good info, I don't think the b20 is right for me, it seems like i gotta do more work for it to be right. Are you boosting your b20 setup? I heard the stock b20 swap is slow as hell (that's what i heard). What might need to be done to it to make it a decent daily driver with a little kick? I know there are alot of people out there that thinks they know this swap, but really never worked with it.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:24 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

a civic with a a b20 swap is not slow as hell, there very fun, and very torquey, and definitely worth the price.....and it not really any harder to put a b20 in your car then it is any other b series swap......
Old 03-22-2005, 08:43 AM
EEK
卐 Walnuts

EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK

b20 with b16 head and type-r cams will do 200whp or close to it and 150lbs of tq

just remember there's 3 different b20 motors and there's three different CR that they come with
Old 03-22-2005, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

Ok say I am going with your advice ^^ how much am I looking to spend?
Old 03-22-2005, 09:45 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

to do my vtec conversion, with a b16 head that i had resurfaced and new valve seals put in it,arp gsr head studs, new type r lost motion assemblies(which you will need if you get the type r cams),skunk2 stage 2 cams(optionla, you can use stock cams), aem cam gears(optional and i also had to buy some vtec cam sprocket bolts), import builder dual valve springs and titanium retainers(also optional, you can use stock b16 valvetrain but i wouldnt reccomend it with type r cams), new cam seals, cam end seal, new water pump and timing belt, new type r intake manifold(which is optional, you can get a used one or a used b16 one but they dont flow like the type r), golden eagle conversion kit, type r throttle cable bracket, inner and outer timing covers, vtec upper radiator hose(optional, you can use your stock ls one, just stretch it a little bit), i used my stock ls distributor , new msd vtec wires(which are optional you can buy used stock ones),hondata intake manifold gasket(optional, cost 80 dollars compared to a 15 dollar stock one but it performs way better), p28 ecu with hondata(which is also optional). all together cost me 2800 bucks, and that wasnt including completely rebuilding my bottom end with all new parts( all new bearings pistons, rings, used my stock ls rods and had them cut to fit my jdm ctr pistons) , mine was a rather expensive head swap but i used all new parts, except the ecu and head, and all the neccasary parts were pretty much all upgraded aftermarket parts , you can use all stock shit and do it for alot cheaper but i decided to not go the cheap route, make a descent motor with zero miles on it so i basicall have a new motor, the bottom end cost me another 800 to put together...

Last edited by MORE IMPATIENT; 03-22-2005 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:19 AM
EEK
卐 Walnuts

EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK

Originally Posted by NguSpeed
Ok say I am going with your advice ^^ how much am I looking to spend?
Depends on what you can source parts for. Everyone gets stuff for different prices.

If you want to do a basic build-

Honda coolant 15
Honda oil filter 5
b20b 700
ecu 100
ecu harness 60
stock IM gasket 20
GSR throttle cable 15
Fuel Filter 15
GSR head 800
B16 tranny 600
golden eagle kit 220
ITR/CTR cams 350

It really depends on your car, what you have/want to do.

Im sure you could get away with doing a decent sub 3000 B20VTEC build. MUCH cheaper than buying a 4500 dollar ITR motor and makes WAY more power/torque =)

Quick Reply: B20 swap info