Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

91 Hatch cable transmission issues

Old 08-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Irubonrights has disabled reputation
Default 91 Hatch cable transmission issues

So I finally got my civic project running..I went to shift car into first but it will not go.. I went through all gears and none worked..when I went into reverse it grinds like crazy.. I cut car off and I can get through all gears with ease.. Ive done some research and they say put it in first then cut car on.When I did this the car went forward as if my clutch as engaged and i pressing the gas... I have adjusted my cable but still same issues.. my question is where do I start? I didnt install clutch to block all that was there when I brought the car. and was told that the transmission worked fine when the motor went out...
Old 08-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

jminter92 has disabled reputation
Default Re: 91 Hatch cable transmission issues

Originally Posted by Irubonrights
So I finally got my civic project running..I went to shift car into first but it will not go.. I went through all gears and none worked..when I went into reverse it grinds like crazy.. I cut car off and I can get through all gears with ease.. Ive done some research and they say put it in first then cut car on.When I did this the car went forward as if my clutch as engaged and i pressing the gas... I have adjusted my cable but still same issues.. my question is where do I start? I didnt install clutch to block all that was there when I brought the car. and was told that the transmission worked fine when the motor went out...
if adjusting the cable isnt doing anything id pull the tranny and check the clutch and pressure plate and release bearing one of the 3 sounds like the problem to me!! its not disengaging.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Irubonrights has disabled reputation

The clutch fork I think its called..... should that be set all the way up and the cable be adjusted with very little slack ?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

The engagement arm should be down when the pedal is in the released position.When you compress the pedal it should pull the arm up to disengage the clutch.If the arm moves freely up and down or is stuck in the up position you need to pull the tranny to see what's wrong in the throwout bearing assembly.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

s14kouki has disabled reputation

yea definitly sounds like its staying engaged...