Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Couple questions about Mitsubishi evo motors

Old 08-16-2012, 04:43 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E
Default Couple questions about Mitsubishi evo motors

I recently bought a 06 Mitsubishi Evo SE at auto auction; only downfall is, there is a hole in the block. Got a good deal, so I hopped on it. Couple questions I have:

1. The car is heavily modified, with toggle boost switches (hi/low), AEM, Garrett turbo, dual tial wastegates, tubular manifold, etc. I know I need to figure out what model AEM I have, and make sure to buy the proper motor. Which leads into my second question:

2. Can someone give me a rundown on what motors are swap-able thru the years on evo's, and what all would need to be done say if I bought a 03-04 motor. Are there any wiring harness differences, differences in plugs to ecu, etc?

3. Any advice on finding out the which model AEM I have? It has the serial number, etc still on it. It definitely isn't a series 2, and isn't the all black one either.

Thanks for any help!

Also, if anyone knows of a evo longblock for sale; please let me know!!!
Old 08-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris
Default Re: Couple questions about Mitsubishi evo motors

Sounds like it's a series 1 AEM unit.Does it have a serial port hookup(no USB)?Biggish case(most of the newer models are smaller)?Silver in color?
I believe the engines in the Evo8/9 are basically the same,as far as the bare shortblock goes anyway(And I'm sure the 4Gs in the older Evos and US DSM cars are probably interchangable at that level).Any difference in parts can be fixed by simply just swapping in the long/shortblock.Use your existing manifolds,harness,etc.

Overall your best bet is going to be to go on some of the Evo/DSM specific forums.

Last edited by TNGChris; 08-19-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Broke Bad

PARANOID PARANOID PARANOID PARANOID PARANOID PARANOID PARANOID PARANOID PARANOID PARANOID PARANOID

I believe the only real difference between the VIII and IX motor is that the IX's have MIVEC. I'm not too sure about plug differences, however. You cannot use a DSM motor because the Evo's transmission sits on the opposite side. I believe that also applies up to a third generation Evolution. So Evo. III and up motors should be swappable, I suppose. Your best bet is to probably just go ahead an get another 9 motor. Check out evolutionm.net, LOTS of good information on there. Congrats on your purchase, btw; I hope you get it running soon.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Registered member

mike703 has disabled reputation

should be a 4g63 under the hood if i remember correctly. and mitsubishi has been using that engine for over 20 years...same engine they put in the srt-4 believe it or not. you should be able to use any block but if its heavily modified he may have been running aftermarket pistons for a different compression ratio...but more than likely its stock as they have forged bottom ends from the factory...unless thats the sr20 im thinking of...too many motors in my head at once
Old 08-25-2012, 07:48 AM
SUCKAFISH

MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8

Originally Posted by PARANOID
I believe the only real difference between the VIII and IX motor is that the IX's have MIVEC. I'm not too sure about plug differences, however. You cannot use a DSM motor because the Evo's transmission sits on the opposite side. I believe that also applies up to a third generation Evolution. So Evo. III and up motors should be swappable, I suppose. Your best bet is to probably just go ahead an get another 9 motor. Check out evolutionm.net, LOTS of good information on there. Congrats on your purchase, btw; I hope you get it running soon.
You are right!! and you have AEM EMS v1 AEM v2 is all black. friend of mine has a built long block for sale

Last edited by MitsuEvo8; 08-25-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:19 AM
Registered member

WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E

Originally Posted by MitsuEvo8
You are right!! and you have AEM EMS v1 AEM v2 is all black. friend of mine has a built long block for sale
I'm pretty sure my AEM is v1, it is not all black; this is what mine looks like:

Still waiting on getting car from transport, so excited to get everything apart and see what im working with. Literally everything visible to the eye was upgraded, new aftermarket radiator, fans, hoses, all turbo components, fuel components, and on top of all that; the transmission is a lot cleaner silver than the block; clearing showing its either rebuilt/reman or hell, could have a fucking dogbox. :evil:

Pm me with your friends info, right now I sourced a mivec longblock from a 06+ MR with only 37k miles for $2750 shipped; feel like that is still a little pricey. Let me know if you guys know of any other options.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by WALL-E
I'm pretty sure my AEM is v1, it is not all black; this is what mine looks like:

[img]https://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/JasonFlesher/IMG_20120709_202851.jpg[/mg]

Still waiting on getting car from transport, so excited to get everything apart and see what im working with. Literally everything visible to the eye was upgraded, new aftermarket radiator, fans, hoses, all turbo components, fuel components, and on top of all that; the transmission is a lot cleaner silver than the block; clearing showing its either rebuilt/reman or hell, could have a fucking dogbox. :evil:

Pm me with your friends info, right now I sourced a mivec longblock from a 06+ MR with only 37k miles for $2750 shipped; feel like that is still a little pricey. Let me know if you guys know of any other options.
That does look like a V1.The serial port hookup also suggests that.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Registered member

da90 has disabled reputation
Default Couple questions about Mitsubishi evo motors

2750 is about right for a Evo motor I got a 03 Evo
Old 08-28-2012, 06:31 AM
SUCKAFISH

MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8

Originally Posted by WALL-E

I cant see the photo it is blocked at my work . If TNGChris says it's V1 then it's V1. I PMed you his contact info. I got my Evo and loved it ever since. They are really good cars. They respond good.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

s14kouki has disabled reputation

if its an evo 9 plug and play AEM than it will only function on a 9. All the blocks are interchangeable so any will work from a 7, 8, or 9. The heads the only difference between a tthe 7 and 8 opposed to the 9.

Buy a evo 9 long block and save the hassle.

Quick Reply: Couple questions about Mitsubishi evo motors