Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

90 civic si hatch brake question

Old 03-04-2004, 09:52 PM
1point8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94XRolla has disabled reputation
Default 90 civic si hatch brake question

all my hoses are connected, there is fluid in the cup (reading full now) the pads are good, but when i hit the brake i have to really stand on it to get it to stop.. is this normal, or should i try a new master cylinder? and tech tips on how to trace the problem?
Old 03-04-2004, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

audiophile24 has disabled reputation
Default Re: 90 civic si hatch brake question

Originally Posted by 94XRolla
all my hoses are connected, there is fluid in the cup (reading full now) the pads are good, but when i hit the brake i have to really stand on it to get it to stop.. is this normal, or should i try a new master cylinder? and tech tips on how to trace the problem?
checked the brake booster?
Old 03-07-2004, 02:44 PM
1point8

Originally Posted by audiophile24
checked the brake booster?
ok, i looked at it, i dont have vaccuum guages, so what do i do there, just disconnect the main hose and see if it got pressure?
Old 03-07-2004, 03:51 PM

99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute

ok it is reading full now? did you ever have to add any? because hydrolic systems DO NOT use fluid if you have low fluid or it keeps dissappearing, i guarentee you u have a leak
Old 03-07-2004, 06:42 PM
1point8

Originally Posted by 99blackcivicsi
ok it is reading full now? did you ever have to add any? because hydrolic systems DO NOT use fluid if you have low fluid or it keeps dissappearing, i guarentee you u have a leak
all i had to do was top it off... when i popped the cap off, i heard air, like pressure releasing, i didnt have to add much at all.. when i step on the brake though, its like im tryin some flinstones sh*t, i have to stand on it to stop it, i think the next warm day i will try to bleed the brakes, make sure there isnt air in the lines before i assume its the master/booster, i probably should have done that first, but i have been concentrating on body work and stuff, the rust on the back side of the rear wheel well syndrome, i have almost got done reshaping and building the last 1/6 of the back of the wheel well, i just have a few pits to get rid of... i chose fiberglass for that cause its easier for me to work with, but i think im gonna use the green bondo to fill in the pits, and that should be done... shaved the rear wiper holes, the stock antenna hole, and im considering shaving the center light next, but thats gonna take some time, im good with fiberglass, but i suck with sheet metal and welding lol... anyway off topic here, but yeh, i will bleed the brakes tomorrow weather pending, and check for leaks in the process...
Old 03-07-2004, 07:50 PM

1slowCRX is an unknown quantity at this point

It is def your brake booster. Air in the lines makes your pedal sink with out your brake booster or vacum assist will make your break pedal hard
Old 03-08-2004, 02:48 AM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

also, what color was the fluid?!?!? if it is just topped-off with good fluid and the rest is crap, then you will experience what you're experiencing. if/when you evacuate all of the fluid, check the bottom of the resevoir, cause it could be all gummed-up.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:14 AM
1point8

Originally Posted by ToyotaTechGeek
also, what color was the fluid?!?!? if it is just topped-off with good fluid and the rest is crap, then you will experience what you're experiencing. if/when you evacuate all of the fluid, check the bottom of the resevoir, cause it could be all gummed-up.
the fluid was the same color as what i put it, clear, but i didnt look in the bottom or anything.... something i didnt even think about.. ill check on that also