Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

89 b18a1 hatch lots of oil in combustion chamber

Old 06-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
krazdracer has disabled reputation
Default 89 b18a1 hatch lots of oil in combustion chamber

The engine is stock an is very fresh. When started its a constant stream of smoke comming out the exhaust the fills up the whole neighborhood. The piston rings and valve seal have been replaced to try and stop the smoke but did nothing. The oil is in all 4 cyliders and is not mixing collant/oil. it has great compression. Whenever we take the plugs out there filled with oil and oil is sitting on the pistons in pools. Its not coming up through the pcv and there is no catch can.

i'm open for anything right now......were goin to take the head off but untill then am open for ideas??????????
Old 06-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue
Default Re: 89 b18a1 hatch lots of oil in combustion chamber

is there oil in the spark plug holes on top of the plugs? Might be bad valvecover seals.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Banned

DecentCivicZ6 is an unknown quantity at this point

wtf....sounds like when my engine had a hole inthe piston, and had a boxer engine tone when it was running like that. but yeah that sucks.....what was the compression. u said it was perfect?
Old 06-24-2007, 05:26 PM
︻╦╤─

DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk

Your compression will likely be good considering there is a butt ton of oil in the chambers.

Do a leak down test. Also, when you replaced the rings, what else did you do while replacing those rings?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sohc_mshue
is there oil in the spark plug holes on top of the plugs? Might be bad valvecover seals.
what????("Combustion chamber")

the oil is in every cylinder

we will be doing a leakdown test. The only things that scare me is the the motor had 250 miles on it when we bought it and it smoked. So we rebuilt it put new rings and valve seals but still smoked. a ton of smoke...its fresh clean oil to on every piston
Old 06-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Banned

sive ick is an unknown quantity at this point

you did replace the oil rings on the pistons correct?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:23 AM
︻╦╤─

DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk

Originally Posted by krazdracer

we will be doing a leakdown test. The only things that scare me is the the motor had 250 miles on it when we bought it and it smoked. So we rebuilt it put new rings and valve seals but still smoked. a ton of smoke...its fresh clean oil to on every piston
What procedure was taken when you replaced the rings? "...the motor had 250 miles on it when we bought it..." - according to who I'm curious as well.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:29 AM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

Originally Posted by krazdracer

i know its not the combustion chamber, but i'm sure not everybody on here knows the difference so i was just making sure. If you pull the plugs out and there has been oil in the spark plug tubes because of bad valvecover seals then its gonna get alll over the entire plug when you pull it out and the oil will run down into the combustion chamber and smoke you out once the car is started.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:37 AM
Banned

sive ick is an unknown quantity at this point

btw you didnt remove the oil limiter(?) on the block did you,causing the bottom end to push more oil up top then leaking onto the pistons through in correctly installed valve seals and quides,not to mention does it have a good and new head gasket
Old 06-25-2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sohc_mshue
i know its not the combustion chamber, but i'm sure not everybody on here knows the difference so i was just making sure. If you pull the plugs out and there has been oil in the spark plug tubes because of bad valvecover seals then its gonna get alll over the entire plug when you pull it out and the oil will run down into the combustion chamber and smoke you out once the car is started.
dude no..... it is smoking while runnng all the time and the plug tubes are clean we replaced all of the seals in the valve cover

Quick Reply: 89 b18a1 hatch lots of oil in combustion chamber