Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

1998 civic not working - headlights ignition key dome light

Old 07-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joshuava has disabled reputation
Default 1998 civic not working - headlights ignition key dome light

Requesting help, ive searched for a few hours on this and somehow I can't seem to find my answer.

Here's the quick scoop:

Replaced headliner in interior of my 98 civic. As i replaced the domelight connector back, it sparked. I jumped a little lol, it but when i put it back on, i noticed that it did't spark the 2nd time. Now headlight warning chime, ignition chime, and interior light thats closest to the rear view mirror wont work anymore.

I've checked the fuses and can't seem to find any that are blown. Would anyone be able to point me into a better direction?
Old 07-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.
Default Re: 1998 civic not working - headlights ignition key dome light

Check to see which wires you melted. Probably should have unhooked the battery.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Well, I understand NOW that I should have disconnected the battery, but at the time I wasnt aware that the light I removed was actually grounded at the mounting spot. But specifically speaking, where should I look for melted wires? They run under the headliner towards the driver side under all plastic mounted interior pieces down through the side trim carpet to under the dash...
Old 07-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Well look everywhere they run. I can't tell you exactly where to look. It's not going to be in a certain place. Just start tracing wires. If it's melted you'll see it.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

Well, I guess I was hoping for more of an easier fix, like replace the 7.5A #30 interior fuse...
Old 07-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You wouldn't have melted a wire that fast. It's probably just a fuse. Check them with a multimeter and don't go by appearance because they don't always fail in easy visible modes.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:15 AM
Registered Member

ghostnamedlos has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Joshuava
Requesting help, ive searched for a few hours on this and somehow I can't seem to find my answer.

Here's the quick scoop:

Replaced headliner in interior of my 98 civic. As i replaced the domelight connector back, it sparked. I jumped a little lol, it but when i put it back on, i noticed that it did't spark the 2nd time. Now headlight warning chime, ignition chime, and interior light thats closest to the rear view mirror wont work anymore.

I've checked the fuses and can't seem to find any that are blown. Would anyone be able to point me into a better direction?
I did, action for action the exact same thing. (hedliner, screwdriver, domelight...flatlined domelight, headlight chime and key in chime). Did you find your fix? Please tell me you did. I also checked all my fuses.