Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

Shoe Creek / Big Levels Run

Old 09-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toxicchevy393 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Shoe Creek / Big Levels Run

hi im new to VAdriven and all, but anyway lol, i was wondering what kinda of trail this was and if it allowed other vehicles besides jeeps? ive had a hard time finding legal trails and all that allow any other sort of truck, if so i was intersted in going, and i know i have a friend that would probably go too, hes got a jeep on 35s, thanks
Old 09-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

unclemeat has disabled reputation

It a nation forest trail (road). It is legal as long as you stay on the trail. You can take any street legal vehicle (no quads or side by sides). The trails tend to be a little bit narrow, so mid to small 4x4 are better unless you dont care about paint, and minor body damage. Stoney Run (Big Levels) is closed in the winter. Shoe Creek is open all year round.

There are tons of trails in the George Washington Nation Forest. Lots around Harrisonburg. Peavine wildlife area has a bunch. Taskers Gap, and Peavine have trails for quads.

Lots of good camping. Blue Ridge Mountain Sports sells the National Forest maps, There is also info from the forest service available online.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

o ight cool, are there some trails that are more do able with a full size then others or are they all real tight?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:50 PM
vangorder

kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox

Kinda mad at myself for missing out on this... Should have some new tires this week sometime. Think you guys will get another run in before the end of the season?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

unclemeat has disabled reputation

Fishfood wants to do Shoe Creek before it gets cold. Shoe Creek, if memory serves me correctly, is a little more accomidating to full size rigs. You dont want to do this trail during rain because there ore several creek crossings. During periods of high rain they may get as deep as about 3-feet.

The problem on the forest roads is the switch backs can be kinda sharp. Sometimes I have to back up to make the turn, I have a short wheel base 2-door explorer with a trutrack in the front. Sometime it just does not want to turn. Also there are parts of the trail that are covered with vegitation, you scrape on your roof and doors. If you really care about your paint I would not recommend that you do these trails. I have seen full size rigs on these trails.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:28 AM
vangorder

kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox

My paint is already jacked... It's a truck!
Old 09-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

ight, yeah im not super worried about the paint for like little pencil sized branchs and down and vegetation is fine, i just didnt want to be going down the trail and slide sideways 4inchs or turn wrong and slide into a tree and dent my whole door in or bed or somethin, and i dont mind takin 4-5 point turns here or there if i need to, also have a full ARB replacement bumper on the front too so... lol and creek crossing sound fun , are u alloud to just freely go out there when ever or do u have to make reservations or something?
Old 09-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie

Originally Posted by vangorder
Kinda mad at myself for missing out on this... Should have some new tires this week sometime. Think you guys will get another run in before the end of the season?

If you wanna go this weekend I want to make a run... Wonder if we can get a couple other of rigs out there.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:33 PM
vangorder

I might be down... Got a lot of possible plans this weekend that I'm still trying to decide on/iron out. I should know by tomorrow or thursday.. Just need to sit down and see exactly whats going on (family gatherings and whatnot) and see what's do-able.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie

Originally Posted by vangorder
I might be down... Got a lot of possible plans this weekend that I'm still trying to decide on/iron out. I should know by tomorrow or thursday.. Just need to sit down and see exactly whats going on (family gatherings and whatnot) and see what's do-able.
Sounds good man, just let me know.

Quick Reply: Shoe Creek / Big Levels Run