Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

Post a pic of your offroader/4x4.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Suzuki Fanboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy
Default Re: Post a pic of your offroader/4x4.

Ordered my new tires, pics to come soon! Yay!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:41 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

I have what I'm hoping is only a bad ujoint. It's making an awful squeak noise at lower speeds when accelerating from a stop. Doesn't have that normal clunky sound that I'm used to hearing. I'm hoping that's what the Jeep world calls "Angry Sparrows" because if it's something in the rear end again, I might jump off of a room somewhere.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 PM
Lurking....

6_speedeg 6_speedeg 6_speedeg 6_speedeg 6_speedeg 6_speedeg 6_speedeg 6_speedeg 6_speedeg 6_speedeg 6_speedeg

Originally Posted by 1xmattx1
This thing is getting passed around a lot lately. Buddy owned that Jeep about 6 months ago.
i dunno about it being passed around guy i got it from had it for awhile..not that it really matters..but i will say the jeep did need a little work suspension wise $1600 later the truck is 100%..thanks for your input tho!
Old 02-23-2013, 05:40 AM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

Originally Posted by VanillaThrilla
I have what I'm hoping is only a bad ujoint. It's making an awful squeak noise at lower speeds when accelerating from a stop. Doesn't have that normal clunky sound that I'm used to hearing. I'm hoping that's what the Jeep world calls "Angry Sparrows" because if it's something in the rear end again, I might jump off of a room somewhere.
front driveshaft cardin joint.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:25 AM
ladies love my foam.

iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam

I still want to go Cummins!

IMO, and most will agree, if you're going to swap from a 2.5L to something bigger, don't waste your time with the 4.0L. While bulletproof, it's not as easy as just dropping it in, and you might as well go with something else if you're going to be spending that kind of money to begin with. If you insist on going 4.0L, I have the one I pulled out of mine if you're interested in rebuilding a motor, or you could probably find one at a salvage yard for $500-800 on a reasonable day.
yea... im debating on what i want to do.... i hear the 360 is an easy swap or the 5.2 / 5.9L...... still looking at how much everything is going to cost.....

it also depends on where the army sends me in june.... i should be finding out in another month or so.

Originally Posted by Brandons96
^what this guy right here said.

If you're going to swap, IF you indeed are; go V8. Jeep 4.0's, though reliable, leave a lot to be desired. I had a TJ (not the black one) with a 2.4 and NV 5-speed, swapped in the NSG 6-speed, sucked.. swapped in a stock 4.0 to the 6-speed, still sucked.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:23 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by -JB-
front driveshaft cardin joint.
I got underneath it today and there's a good bit of play on the back of the rear driveshaft. I'm pretty confident that's where it's coming from. Picked up a new Moog non-zerk u-joint but will have to wait until tomorrow to replace it. I couldn't get the top strap off without stripping one of the screws.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:18 AM
Fitty Tuckin

I got underneath it today and there's a good bit of play on the back of the rear driveshaft. I'm pretty confident that's where it's coming from. Picked up a new Moog non-zerk u-joint but will have to wait until tomorrow to replace it. I couldn't get the top strap off without stripping one of the screws.
Because it's an easy check as well. Pull the front shaft. Drive it with out to see if the noise is gone. While the front is out, grease the ujoints. I like the zerk fittings to make it easier to keep things lubed.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:36 PM
wub wub wub wub

You'd think it'd be an easy check. I spent a few hours underneath my Jeep on Sunday and struggled endlessly to get that rear ujoint out. It's only about a year old, but it's absolutely seized in there. I even rented a couple expensive tools from Advance Auto after trying to beat it out. I'm at the point where we're going to have to try to cut it out with an angle grinder I guess! Unbelievable how a 15 minute swap turned into like 4 hours and still ended up having to button it back up and leave it for the time being.

My buddy is trying to see if he can source one of those Tiger tools for ujoint removal locally and we'll try to pop it out again first before cutting.

From my reading, I was actually under the impression that the non-zerk ujoints are a little bit stronger overall and although you can't really service them, it should still probably outlive how long I'll keep my TJ. For $18.00, I can replace it in a year or maybe a few years and not be out much.

It'll be a few days before I can get back underneath it but I'll see about the front driveshaft. If it's seized too, I'm done! lol
Old 02-26-2013, 04:40 AM
Fitty Tuckin

You'd think it'd be an easy check. I spent a few hours underneath my Jeep on Sunday and struggled endlessly to get that rear ujoint out. It's only about a year old, but it's absolutely seized in there. I even rented a couple expensive tools from Advance Auto after trying to beat it out. I'm at the point where we're going to have to try to cut it out with an angle grinder I guess! Unbelievable how a 15 minute swap turned into like 4 hours and still ended up having to button it back up and leave it for the time being.

My buddy is trying to see if he can source one of those Tiger tools for ujoint removal locally and we'll try to pop it out again first before cutting.

From my reading, I was actually under the impression that the non-zerk ujoints are a little bit stronger overall and although you can't really service them, it should still probably outlive how long I'll keep my TJ. For $18.00, I can replace it in a year or maybe a few years and not be out much.

It'll be a few days before I can get back underneath it but I'll see about the front driveshaft. If it's seized too, I'm done! lol
Yeah I've heard about the non zerks being stronger but I like to grease mine

Soak the joint good in something better than wd-40. If it still won't budge, throw some heat to it. I put mine in a vice on the bench and take a socket and beat mine out. Thinking about picking up one of the cheap HF shop presses
Old 02-26-2013, 03:43 PM
wub wub wub wub

Originally Posted by -JB-
Yeah I've heard about the non zerks being stronger but I like to grease mine

Soak the joint good in something better than wd-40. If it still won't budge, throw some heat to it. I put mine in a vice on the bench and take a socket and beat mine out. Thinking about picking up one of the cheap HF shop presses
PB Blaster certainly didn't help When the rain stops, I'll keep soaking it until I can get back under it this weekend.

I didn't have anything to heat it up with at the time, and still don't, but I'll look into that. I'd like to get a cheap press too, but I'll only need it once in a blue moon.