Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

Post a pic of your offroader/4x4.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Suzuki Fanboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy
Default Re: Post a pic of your offroader/4x4.

Originally Posted by SignfcntOthr
Working great thus far. Still trying figure out how far I want to go with it as a DD before I spend any money on it.
I remember those days with my Samurai! LOL! Hit up 'BoostHappy' I think he's posted in this thread just a couple posts ago (post #1970) His is on a longarm/ budget (junkyard) setup on 32" tires for now. ALmost won a RTI comp. at Crozet until the linked Broncos showed up lol! His works great and he drives it every day everywhere and wheels it right along and beside me on the trails. Good friend of mine and we hang out a lot. He's been through quite a few setups now and has his pretty functional + road trusted.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:32 AM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

I have an excel sheet together of all the parts I'll need to finish my project TJ. It's makes me sad. It will be a slow project because it will need all new drivetrain, suspension, etc. I have been working on stripping the 1ton axles down. My dana 60 kingpins look brand new, which gave me lots of joy knowing I wouldn't have to replace them. I was going to cheap out on the rear suspension to save a few dollars with a xj stretch but after looking at how much it would cost, linking it isn't much more.

I have options to put a 4.0 in her. I already have a AW4 trans. But I'm really thinking of going to a 5.3 Chevy motor with a 4l60e and a dana 300 maybe 300/231 doubler.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 AM
Suzuki Fanboi

OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy

Originally Posted by -JB-
I have an excel sheet together of all the parts I'll need to finish my project TJ. It's makes me sad. It will be a slow project because it will need all new drivetrain, suspension, etc. I have been working on stripping the 1ton axles down. My dana 60 kingpins look brand new, which gave me lots of joy knowing I wouldn't have to replace them. I was going to cheap out on the rear suspension to save a few dollars with a xj stretch but after looking at how much it would cost, linking it isn't much more.

I have options to put a 4.0 in her. I already have a AW4 trans. But I'm really thinking of going to a 5.3 Chevy motor with a 4l60e and a dana 300 maybe 300/231 doubler.
It's a never ending process. You build it, wheel it, get comfortable w/ it or break it then upgrade. Then you hit that wall the things have progressed enough that it will be EXPENSIVE to keep modifying. The chice to stay and replace parts or push forward is often thought about. Hell, I've even contimplated selling/ trading my Samurai for a new project/ wheeler.

300/231 ftw! Don't look back!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:30 AM
Fitty Tuckin

I like to build it once and only fix what breaks. I know the limits of my bolt on TJ. Thats why I picked up another for a 1ton project. I fear one day I'll get bored with that and want to go tube buggy. However I enjoy wheeling with friends/family so once you go to big you'll limit yourself on where you can ride and who can go with you because the trails are more difficult. So I think the 1ton Jeep will be my limit. Keeping it some what road worthy and being able to ride all types of trails. Plus have 4seats to bring people along. It's technically her Jeep. I started the project telling her it's hers. Although I could have had it built by now with normal Jeep axles and parts. But I want both our Jeeps to be stretched and running bigger tires, so I guess her Jeep will be the first to cut up.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Suzuki Fanboi

Have you pisted any recent pics of the 'project Jeep' recently? If so, I must have missed them. I'd like to see where it's at. Do you have a build thread on Pirate?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:28 AM
Fitty Tuckin

Originally Posted by OverEasy
Have you pisted any recent pics of the 'project Jeep' recently? If so, I must have missed them. I'd like to see where it's at. Do you have a build thread on Pirate?
I hate taking pictures when I'm in the middle of something, haha. I don't have a build because it's such a slow build, I should just start collecting pics and post a thread one day. I have 2 recent photos uploading now. I'll post when finished.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:49 AM
Fitty Tuckin

This was taken 2 weeks ago. I picked up some half doors for it.

Then I finally decided I needed to clean the garage up and start working on this thing again. So here is the Dana 70 all cleaned up. (I'm working on the Dana 60 right now)

Old 02-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

I remember those days with my Samurai! LOL! Hit up 'BoostHappy' I think he's posted in this thread just a couple posts ago (post #1970) His is on a longarm/ budget (junkyard) setup on 32" tires for now. ALmost won a RTI comp. at Crozet until the linked Broncos showed up lol! His works great and he drives it every day everywhere and wheels it right along and beside me on the trails. Good friend of mine and we hang out a lot. He's been through quite a few setups now and has his pretty functional + road trusted.
I already sent a quick PM to him and followed his reply to his build thread. Mind blown. So simple but so great!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Suzuki Fanboi

Originally Posted by -JB-
This was taken 2 weeks ago. I picked up some half doors for it.

Then I finally decided I needed to clean the garage up and start working on this thing again. So here is the Dana 70 all cleaned up. (I'm working on the Dana 60 right now)
Checking this out as soon as I get home. (Can't see pics at work) Getting a bit burn't out on it?

Originally Posted by SignfcntOthr
I already sent a quick PM to him and followed his reply to his build thread. Mind blown. So simple but so great!
Yeah, it's pretty simple and very affective. I've spotted him through some pretty good spots ant the XJ handled it well. Then he drove it from the trail, work, grocery store, friends... Simple setup is where it's at.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Fitty Tuckin

Checking this out as soon as I get home. (Can't see pics at work) Getting a bit burn't out on it?

Yeah, it's pretty simple and very affective. I've spotted him through some pretty good spots ant the XJ handled it well. Then he drove it from the trail, work, grocery store, friends... Simple setup is where it's at.
Not burnt out. Years ago when I modded cars, all of it was bolts and nuts. Nothing really custom about cars other then maybe a grinder and wrenches. With a custom build I'm doing on the Jeep, I'm getting into welding, more cutting, setting up suspension geometry, etc etc. I want to buy a welder instead of having to borrow one. I'd like to buy a tube bender instead of buying prebent tube. Just takes time and money and I'm not trying to go in debt over a project and end up having to sell it. I plan on keeping this.