Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

I'm truck stupid.. help. New (to me) 77' F250 460CID, C6, Dana. Help!

Old 11-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Built, HTA, V9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
japslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these parts
Default I'm truck stupid.. help. New (to me) 77' F250 460CID, C6, Dana. Help!

I know nothing about trucks and even less about carburators (possibly even how to spell it) but just picked up a new truck that I would like to start working on. It is a 77' F250 Ranger. Thing is, it has SO many parts on it that didn't come stock with it. It was born a 150, not a 250. It has an upgraded suspension that made it a 3/4 ton. It has front disc brakes, a monster 460, C6 tranny (auto), and a Dana 51 rear end. I have to imagine that going and buying parts for this thing will NOT be easy because I can't say I need this part for this truck because its got so many different parts on it.

Issues:

Exhaust manifold has a HUGE leak. It sounds like ass. I already got the gasket for it (hope it fits) so I'll get that changed out tomorrow.
I was also told that the ignition system is really old and could stand to be upgraded to something that will have more spark. I have seen these MSD ignition coils and nice distributers but have no idea if anything around that needs to be changed or which ones to get.

The carburator is a 750 Edlebrock... The previous owner said he has jets in it to lean the truck out to make it get better gas mileage. I have the rejet kit to go with it but have never messed with one. When you first get on the gas, it stumbles, and then goes. Not enough fuel or not enough spark? I was also told that if I were to floor it, it would "miss" really bad becasue it doesn't have enough fuel (haven't tried it). The motor has less than 10k on it after being rebuilt. Hell, the truck itself only has 79k on it. it is in great shape.. no dents, new paint, new interior... I love this truck, I just want to get it running right mechanically.

So, there are a few things I need to get worked out. Is there a site that any of you would recommend or even just a place to start reading?
Old 11-14-2008, 06:03 AM
just a little 4x4

ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck
Default Re: I'm truck stupid.. help. New (to me) 77' F250 460CID, C6, Dana. Help!

first off i never heard of a dana 51 rear . . they made a dana 50 in the front of and f250 in the late 80's and early 90's in a ifs/twin traction beam setup. . . . as for stumbing when ya hit it . . . it could be either way not getting enought fuel or getting to much . . . would have to listen to it to see which one. . . and i hate edelbrock carbs personally . . alot of people like em but i find it kinda stupid ya have to take the whole carb apart to adjust the fuel levels and stuff . . . to rejet it ya have to take the top half of the carb off . . and i'd recommend finding out what came factory in the 750 and not overstep it. . . 750 should be plenty for a 460 as long as it's not built to the hilt . . . as far as the ignition goes it's hard to say if ya got electronic or points without seeing it . . . i mean ya could spend a bunch of money for a full msd ignition system but probably not worth it
Old 11-14-2008, 06:39 AM
Beer or Gasoline?

Antonyj1214 Antonyj1214 Antonyj1214 Antonyj1214 Antonyj1214 Antonyj1214 Antonyj1214 Antonyj1214 Antonyj1214 Antonyj1214 Antonyj1214
Default Re: I'm truck stupid.. help. New (to me) 77' F250 460CID, C6, Dana. Help!

well said sir! couldnt agree more. I havent messed with a 4x4 since 01 but thats exactly what I would have suggested. Im a Holley fan vice Edlebrock.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Built, HTA, V9

japslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by ChevyMudtruck
first off i never heard of a dana 51 rear . . they made a dana 50 in the front of and f250 in the late 80's and early 90's in a ifs/twin traction beam setup. . . . as for stumbing when ya hit it . . . it could be either way not getting enought fuel or getting to much . . . would have to listen to it to see which one. . . and i hate edelbrock carbs personally . . alot of people like em but i find it kinda stupid ya have to take the whole carb apart to adjust the fuel levels and stuff . . . to rejet it ya have to take the top half of the carb off . . and i'd recommend finding out what came factory in the 750 and not overstep it. . . 750 should be plenty for a 460 as long as it's not built to the hilt . . . as far as the ignition goes it's hard to say if ya got electronic or points without seeing it . . . i mean ya could spend a bunch of money for a full msd ignition system but probably not worth it

I think it has points on it. not positive tho. He gave me tons of reciepts with the truck so I'll go through them and see if I can make sense of any of it.

Here's a camera phone pic of it.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:46 PM
just a little 4x4

ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck

well if it's points most time if you pull the wire off the cap it will look like the end on the coil . . the cap will have a mound up with the contact point inside . . . also the wire coming from the distributer goes directly to the negative side of the coil . . if it's electronic it should have the connection points ontop of the mounds and should have an module located on the fender usually with 2 or 3 plugs coming off of it (can't remember not a real big ford tech but have a couple )

decent looking truck from the pic . . . hows the rust? usually in the door jams on the cab and the floor and floor supports . .
Old 11-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Built, HTA, V9

Originally Posted by ChevyMudtruck
well if it's points most time if you pull the wire off the cap it will look like the end on the coil . . the cap will have a mound up with the contact point inside . . . also the wire coming from the distributer goes directly to the negative side of the coil . . if it's electronic it should have the connection points ontop of the mounds and should have an module located on the fender usually with 2 or 3 plugs coming off of it (can't remember not a real big ford tech but have a couple )

decent looking truck from the pic . . . hows the rust? usually in the door jams on the cab and the floor and floor supports . .
Small amount of rust going around the drivers door. Paint is bubbled up there a bit. Little more at the top of the bed and that is it. Not bad at all. I have a body guy that is going to fix it. I would actually like to learn myself.... that is the idea with this truck... I have payed other people to build other cars for me, my wife and I would like to use this to learn on....

I'll get pics up of under the hood tomorrow so you can see what I'm talkin about.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:38 AM
Registered Member

rbhall65 is an unknown quantity at this point

i agree, she shouldnt be missing or boggin down with a 750. unless its fucking drag carb. more than likely the jet kit is causeing it to stumble, fuck the gas milage, shit its under 2 bucks anyway. also try running high tess in it and see how she reacts compared to reg if your not already. msd set up is like he said very expensive but dont get me wrong there top of the line for a reason. and dont worrie to much about not being able to match it up. give napa or advanced your specs and there shud be a direct replace for it